C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painters: Compressor thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 03:49 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Painters: Compressor thoughts

I'm looking at the following compressor to power the Devillblis Platinum HPLV gun. It meets the air requirements and is pretty cheap.

Campbell Hausfeld VT-6275
Horse Power: 7
Stage: single
Power supply: 230V
Amp draw: 15
Maximum pressure: 125 PSI
Air Delivery:
@ 40 PSI: 11.6 SCFM
@ 90 PSI: 9.2 SCFM

Number of cylinders: 2
Lubrication: oil
Tank configuration: vertical
Tank size: 60 gallon
Shipping weight: 290 lbs.

$429.99

Good brand? What other brands shoul I look at?
Old 11-25-2001, 05:32 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (74-Roadster)

That compressor will keep up with any air tool I know of.

Make sure you purchase a good oil/water seperator if you're going to paint.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:43 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure about their air compressors but IMHO Campbell Hausfeld sucks.
I bought a primer gun that only lasted a couple weeks. I bought an air nibbler that broke on the first 10 feet of use, had it fixed, broke again on the next job. I bought an air file that stopped working after about a month. That's a super cheap price for a compressor with those specs - there's probably a reason for that.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:57 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (lbell101)

Campbell Hausfield makes good compressors but the one i have is extremely noisy. i believe that is a fair price for a C/H product, but stay away from their air tools. Try to stay with Devillbiss for spray guns. Very good company, i sprayed my vette with a junky GTi and it sprayed fine, took some time to adjust it to my style of painting, but it works wonders
Old 11-25-2001, 06:00 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (Corzvette69)

Corzvette69,

You probably have a direct-drive compressor. They are very noisy but cheap( also no oil in compressed air). The belt driven ones are more durable, and fairly quiet but put oil into the compressed air(only a littlebit) and aren't as cheap.

I have a direct drive and I wish I had saved up a little more for a belt drive unit for the durability and the noise reduction.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:07 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 60 gal 5HP Sanborn from Home Depot ( El Cheapo) about 12 years ago and it works great with an HVLP set up. It will not keep up with 2 DA's at once. I have painted several corvettes with no problems... I do use a DeVilbiss gun though. The diaphram type(oil less) are VERY noisey. I like the piston type. Mine is in another room so I don't hear it.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:33 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (silvervetteman)

I have a VT6310 60 gallon 6.5 HP Campbell Hausfeld belt drive. It has run flawless. I have painted, sandblasted the frame and use my blast cabinet with no problems. All my air tools run with no problemsI bought it at a Tractor supply company
11.8 @ 40 psi
10.3 @ 90 psi
125 max
240 volt 15 amp
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 7:36 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 10:02 PM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (Nomad78SA)

I use an Emglo 8 hp 80 gallon tank twin cylinder belt drive compressor pretty expensive though, bought it when I was single :D I use to use a Sears 5 hp 30 gallon tank, worked just as good but wouldn't keep up to DA sander or board sanders. I use a Sagola 444G HVLP gun with a screw in filter just before the gun, you can buy these filters at any auto parts store for about 12.00 for a two pack, they work great.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:32 PM
yooperod
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For home use it should work ok, The best thing when comparing compressors is the cfm rating, HP can be overated, geez some of the shop vacs out there have "6 hp". I had a 3 hp emglo direct drive piston type compressor that I used for 15 years. I don't remember the cfm rating but the amp rating was 15a @ 230v. A larger sandblast job it couldn't keep up. I painted my '64 with a accuspray hvlp the gun needs 100 psi constant and the compressor handled it but ran almost constant, but did the job. Just replaced that compressor with a 20 year old used "real 5hp" that came from a small shop ,it makes a lot more air and spins slower, I also keep it in a small room which is heated.
rod
Old 11-25-2001, 10:58 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (yooperod)

i have the compressor under that one i used it everyday for painting impact guns air chisels you name it and always kept up.Youll be fine with.mines 4 years old now and still wors great ive had craftsman before that and always had problems with them.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:59 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All of the suggestions above are good. The biggest problem I had in painting is water in the lines. This is also a problem with sand blasting. The best help I received on the subject was from TIP tools, the sandblasting people. You can go to their site at this address http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/piping_diagram.pdf
for a diagram on the correct way to pipe a system. They also have a lot of good info on air consumption, abrasives, etc. It's worth a check. Good luck. :seeya
Old 11-26-2001, 08:21 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

74-Roadster -- My .02 -- I would pass on the Campbell-Hausfeld. I've seen a lot of those returned by dissatisfied temporary owners. I bought the 5 hp Craftsman and have never regretted it.
:)
Old 11-26-2001, 09:43 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (vettfixr)

That's a pretty cool schematic for plumbing up a compressor. Thanks for posting it.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:21 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (MikeC)

I have a direct drive and I wish I had saved up a little more for a belt drive unit for the durability and the noise reduction.
I have to agree here. Go for the belt drive units. They last a lot longer...
Old 11-26-2001, 11:33 AM
yogi78
Instructor

Go with a belt drive, as long as you keep the intake air filter clean and change the compressor oil frequently with non-detergent oil it will run FOREVER. With the CFM output of that compressor you should be able to run almost any airtool I know of without catching up to the compressor. Another thing you may want to look for is an ASME certified tank, the welds and construction of those tanks are inspected, for peace of mind. :chevy
Old 11-26-2001, 12:14 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (yogi78)

I have the VT-627505AJ and it's rated at 11.8 @ 40 and 10.3 @ 90.

I do a lot of sandblasting and I use a cheap sandblasting gun that is not very efficient... it's a Camp/Haus.
The compressor runs non-stop when I really get going. I set up a separate fan to cool the compressor.
So far, it has not let me down.

Air Tools are not all equal in the efficiency department, so no matter how big your compressor is, there is always the possibility that you will have a problem.

A few comments on the Craftsman vs C/H issue- Campbell Hausfield used to make the Sears compressors. I don't know who currently makes them- it may still be Campbell Haus.

Second- Sears marks their replacement parts up a thousand percent (well.... it seems like it).
I recently tried to buy a few small parts- flapper valves & rings for a Craftsman and they wanted $200. plus shipping & handling. I would have paid maybe $20 max. I scrapped the compressor. What a total waste. The whole compressor was $199. brand new. Just on that fact alone, I will not buy another Craftsman. I repair all of my own equipment and I don't expect to get raped on the parts. The Sears repair facilities no longer stock parts- they use a centralized warehouse, and YOU pay the S&H to their benefit. Good for them, bad for you.

About that diagram- awesome. I would add that if you want to produce a high quality paint job, figure on installing more than 1 air/water separator. I have 3 on my system, and they all collect a massive amount of water. The two closest to the tank collect the most oil.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:00 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (Tom454)

i had the same problem with my craftsman as tom454 did i actually bought the replacement parts twice before i scrapped it.my cambell hausefield belt driven works great ive painted at least 60 cars with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Painters: Compressor thoughts

Old 11-26-2001, 02:25 PM
cbyrd74
Cruising

I have the Craftsman 80 gal. Air Compressor, 7 hp, Vertical Tank, 2-Stage Pump. 17.4 scfm at 100 psi, 16.9 at 175 psi. 175 max. PSI. 230volt

It has always run well. The advantage of a 2 stage pump is the higher pressure and it will run quieter. I can have this unit on and not go deaf.

It was a little pricey but it was worth it.

Old 11-26-2001, 04:18 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Painters: Compressor thoughts (cbyrd74)

Thanks for all of the replies!!!!! :D I hadn't even thought about noise. :mad

I'm not sure what I'll get now, but a belt drive is probably for a must. Since it's going to be a while (1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years) before I get serious with my plans, I'm going to put on the new bumper cover and paint it myself. It'll be good practice, I haven't painted a car for almost 14 years. :eek: Then I need to repaint my hardtop to match the car since it was never repainted; again, more practice.

Great link on the piping setup. I've been talking to Devilbiss about piping as well.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:26 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a CH compressor at work and it is a Sherman Tank. It has been dragged down a cart path behind a tractor, dropped off of the back of a truck onto concrete, ran constantly for about a week, etc etc... And it still works like a top.

I don't like CH air tools though.

Quick Reply: Painters: Compressor thoughts