C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original L-88 hood ID?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 01:23 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original L-88 hood ID?

Ok, I know about the Rockwell sticker that was stuck somewhere underneath, but what else would distinguish an original hood from the aftermarket ones? I think I remember a little metal Z-brace used at the rear of the airbox opening and don't recall seeing that on the repos. Anything else and what would be the color of the original glass?
Old 11-26-2001, 09:49 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Original L-88 hood ID?

Allan,

The hoods that I have seen (where bare fiberglass has been visible) have been the "black" fiberglass that seems to be common to the 1968-72 body pieces... It's more like a very, very dark gray rather than a true black, but I'm sure you're familiar with what I mean.

The airboxes have been varying shades ranging from the shade of the hood to lighter grays. One was even a gray-green 'glass that I observed on a 1968 L-88. This was an ultra low mileage car that I have no doubt was the real deal.

I don't know of any other distinguishing features that would identify a real L-88 hood. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Original L-88 hood ID?