C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 12:24 PM
telk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Reverse

Tried to backup car today and couldn't get my 4 speed into reverse. Seems the shifter is not moving over that little bit to the leftwhen pulling up on the reverse lever. Anyone know what to do?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2001, 12:51 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: No Reverse (telk)

One of your three shift levers may not be in neutral. First, put the shifter in neutral. Next, make sure the 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers (the two farthest forward) are pointing straight up and the reverse lever is all of the way forward.

Your shifter may be out of alignment if that doesn't work. To adjust the shifter you'll need to make a tool (usually out of an old putty knife) and adjust the shift rods.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:08 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No Reverse (Steve Straus)

I , like Steve would check to see if all of the shift rods are in neutral. I used to get it jammed up in two gears with my stock shifter, annoyed me enough to go with a hurst, I'll never go back now.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:27 PM
telk
Advanced

Default Re: No Reverse (MikeC)

Thanks Mike but it looks like the little rod that goes up through the inside of the shifter is damaged. When you lift the lever to go into reverse this rod moves something in the tranny to let it go into reverse. Not sure what to do now.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:30 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Thanks Mike but it looks like the little rod that goes up through the inside of the shifter is damaged. When you lift the lever to go into reverse this rod moves something in the tranny to let it go into reverse. Not sure what to do now.
The rod doesn't move anything in the tranny. It just lifts up and allows the shifter to move over and grab the reverse lever. You can easily inspect the reverse lockout lever by unscrewing the shifter ball, removing the spring and pulling out the lockout rod. If it's not bent then you should be ok.

--
Steve
Old 11-25-2001, 03:32 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Here's a shifter rebuild I did to give you an idea of how the shifter works.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=131151

Get notified of new replies

To No Reverse

Quick Reply: No Reverse