C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 01:52 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good

As i alluded to when i asked what those lines were made of, one of the lines sheared and has a dash in it. When i tried to bleed all the fluid just came out of that one hole- which i guess is a good thing. So now i've Taken the entire hose off. I found an autoparts store that's open 24 hours a day, so i'm gonna get some wire and the flare tool, and probably a little pipe bender. Other than that i'm happy to say that i was in need of NO other tools. It's so nice to have tons of tools. Oh well. So test drive tomorrow. Bbye!
Old 11-25-2001, 04:39 AM
Jim 77
Racer

Default Re: ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good (Jenny)

Sorry to hear you had trouble. Was this the line from the rear caliper? I have a habbit of breaking those...
But what about this 24 hour parts store? I am so jealous! I want one!
Old 11-25-2001, 06:20 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

How about, you wait until Monday and we'll all run out and buy stock in the company that makes brake fluid? :D
Old 11-25-2001, 11:45 AM
roger68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert at this, but I do know there's a few things you need to be aware of and be careful about when it comes to making hard brake lines. Regular (non-stainless) steel brake line is flared to 45 degrees, I think, and it needs to have a double flare. Don't take any of this as gospel. What I'm saying here is that you need to be careful when making hard lines - get good input from people that have experience making them.

Roger
Old 11-25-2001, 03:14 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

24 hour auto parts store? I could really use that! I could also use all of the tools that you have. :D Everytime I do something, I find myself spending $ to get the right tool. Where did you get all these toys?! I am jealous. :p:

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 11-25-2001, 03:37 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good (VolVette)

24 hour auto parts store? I could really use that! I could also use all of the tools that you have. :D Everytime I do something, I find myself spending $ to get the right tool. Where did you get all these toys?! I am jealous. :p:

Cheers,

Stephen
24 hour parts store rocks! Too bad they didn't have line long enough though :(. Yeah it sucks when you have to go buy stuff from the store. Takes too long, what a waste of time. Well i don't think i'll be driving today. I'll go to carquest tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Oh well. C-ya!
Old 11-25-2001, 03:49 PM
Phlash
Racer

Brake line flaring is a double flare. Not the same as on copper lines. Best to get the right line or buy a line of comparable length and buy a bender if you don't have the right tools. Many old time parts houses will build one to fit.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :seeya
Old 11-25-2001, 03:50 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good (roger68)

I'm no expert at this, but I do know there's a few things you need to be aware of and be careful about when it comes to making hard brake lines. Regular (non-stainless) steel brake line is flared to 45 degrees, I think, and it needs to have a double flare. Don't take any of this as gospel. What I'm saying here is that you need to be careful when making hard lines - get good input from people that have experience making them.

Roger
Yes, brake lines require a double flare, and this means you need a flaring tool that can do double flares. Even with the tool, it takes some practice to get a "good" flare, so you may want to get some extra line and do a little practicing.

Get notified of new replies

To ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good

Quick Reply: ARGH!! Well i have another days work :( Not good