C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#4 body mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 11:37 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #4 body mounts

I'd like to meet the person who came up with the idea of embedding the #4 mount, cage nut into the fiberglass. Anyone repaired one of these? The bolts snapped off on both sides. One broke the cage nut free immediately, the other when drilling out the broken off bolt. I had to rip the cage nuts out of their mountings. Was thinking of welding a replacement nut to the metal shroud and glassing that in along with the rivets. Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2001, 12:59 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: #4 body mounts (JYD69_427)

JYD69_427
Sounds like you are having fun to me. Just kidding. I had to replace the entire body mount on mine due to rust. Underneath the metal body support rusted out on the drivers side #4 and the body cracked from hitting hard. The cage nut sits in a housing that has 2 rivets holding it in. Buy them from any vette catalog. When the mounts stress or rust it will allow the nut to spin free. Just cut the 2 rivets out and put a new one in. My body is off so easier said than done I suppose. If you want to see some pics of the parts let me know.
Neil in Tenn
Old 11-25-2001, 06:58 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

JYD69,
I just replaced all 8 body mounts on my 81. Both # 4 boby mount nuts broke lose on me also. I used a vise grip to hold the head of the bolt and cut the bolt in half with a hack saw. Then I got inside the car and removed the piece of carpet in the back corner. I'm guessing that you have a 69 because of your handle so yours might be a little different. But I'm sure that if you look around you'll find a way to get to the nut.
Wait till you see the difference in the ride when you are done.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:17 PM
tictocdok
Racer

I replaced the #4 mounts and will drop the bolt down from the top.maybe add a large washer under the head of the bolt. if I ever need to remove the bolt again I can heat the nut which will be exposed. it won't look like original but in my case I am not concerned, it;s a daily driver and not judged for show points.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:18 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: #4 body mounts (Richard Cooper)

Why would the ride be affected?

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :confused:
Old 11-25-2001, 09:51 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: #4 body mounts (Nomad78SA)

If you want to see some pics of the parts let me know.
Neil in Tenn
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=185793

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 8:52 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 10:14 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: #4 body mounts (67HEAVEN)

JYD, you have e-mail

67HEAVEN,
The reason I ask if a person wants to see the pics is so I can E-mail them to the individual. They are very large and so many people have dial up modems that it will bring them to a stop trying to load the post with all the pictures so they go on to other topics and miss out. Can you tell me how to put a small picture on the page and when you click on it goes to full size. Help me out here Brother....
I guess I could upload them to the internet and put a URL to them.

In fact, when a person ask for the pics, I go out to the vehicle or dig the parts out of the garage as if I can find them and take the pictures for them or dig out the manual and take that pic. Many times other people have the info they want already and post it..

So why do people ask if they want to see some pic..Courtesy to others and because it takes time to dig it out

Neil in tenn

Old 11-26-2001, 12:24 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Default Re: #4 body mounts (Nomad78SA)

Oh no! You mean they are accessible from the topside? Figures. They were so rusty and covered with dirt that I didn't see any rivets for the cage nut.

Looks like the big metal shrouds that are riveted to the underside are nearly shot too. After banging off all the rust and dirt, they are nearly rusted through and too thin to put back on.

I'll have to hoist up the carpet in the back and see how to get at the cage nut area. I got too frustrated and yanked them out through the bottom so there will be some repair required there...

Where did you get the parts (cage nut, cage, and metal housing)???

Thanks again to everyone!
Your knowledge, insight and willingness to help out are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-26-2001, 01:51 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

You can get the parts you need from Paragon ( http://www.corvette-paragon.com ). The cage nut inside is accessed from WAY back in the corner of the cargo area. Get nice and comfy back there as you'll be spending a good bit of time in there. :yesnod:

Are you going to raise the car off the frame for the repair? If so it only gets more ugly when you tackle the other mounts. :eek:
Old 11-26-2001, 03:29 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Default Re: #4 body mounts (ddecart)

Thanks for the source for parts.

The body is currently perched atop a home-made dolly that allows me to roll it around. Crawling into the rear cargo area may present a tip problem as I'm not as spritely as I used to be :D

Edit:
Oh yeah, forgot to add- I bought a body mount kit from PST. The kit only has 6 sets of replacement bushings :confused: The instructions say something about #2 being convertable only, use existing parts. What's up with that? Mine had the solid mounts and they're wasted. Since #2 and #3 are the same type of mount, why would they only include parts for #3? Even so, all of the parts are the same, bushings sandwiching the frame extensions BUT the #2 & #3 mounts are cage nuts welded to the frame. I would think there'd be a different biscuit for those versus the #1 & #4 mounts.

Have an email in to them, awaiting a response...

[Modified by JYD69_427, 1:34 PM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 09:42 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

I bought all my hardware through Zip. They have a online catalog here on the forum. I bought the body mounts through Dr. Rebuild.
Neil in Tenn

Get notified of new replies

To #4 body mounts

Quick Reply: #4 body mounts