C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 front fender question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 09:41 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 front fender question

I'm looking at a car with a damaged front fender. I'm not real familiar with the structure of the C3 and have yet to look at the car itself. Is the fender easily replaced?
Old 11-24-2001, 09:57 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: 74 front fender question (vcole@metrocast.net)

ok, this one's easy for me. first off, the front bumper has to be taken off, then you have to pop the fender off where the bonding strip is. grind up the hood surround panel near the bonding area. place the new fender on the bonding strip and mark where you think it looks right. then get some bonding material, and use real long vise grips to hold the fender to the top panel. along with on the back of the fender near the cowl. its real tricky, your better off having it fixed at a corvette or body shop with real good rep.. might cost you a grand or 1500, but well worth the time and effort for someone else to do it instead of someone lacking experience. trust me I used to work in a Corvette Restoration shop.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:04 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Default Re: 74 front fender question (Corzvette69)

OK, thanks, I wanted to figure that into the total cost to buy it before I looked at it.

thanks
VC
Old 11-24-2001, 10:08 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

not a problem. If you plan on buying this car, buy it now, then order the fender, because it takes a good 3 months for a "good" fender to come in. I believe my new parts are hand laid instead of computer molded. which ever one is more expensive is the better part. look in Ecklers or Corvette Central.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:11 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Do you have web addresses for those sights?

thanks
VC
Old 11-24-2001, 10:24 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

www.corvettecentral.com
www.ecklers.com
Old 11-24-2001, 10:36 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it would be better to just order the one piece front end from Eckler's. I think they cost about a grand also. Sould be easyer to install.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:48 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: 74 front fender question (Paul 75 L82)

I've heard that installing a new front clip is quite difficult for the DIY'r. :confused: You have to bond both sides to the cowl at the same time and make sure it's sitting square and level.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:57 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: 74 front fender question (74-Roadster)

Ecklers has the SMC panel just like the original. If you are handy you might be able to do it yourself. Just make sure to use SMC suitable bonding adhesive. It is a stock item so it takes very little time to get it.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:38 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

I have been asking because I found a matching numbers 74 Convertible with both tops, auto (my only dislike about it), 350 (L48) new brakes all around, car was damaged in an accident when a lady ran under a pick-up. The fender is damaged and the hood has a couple small cracks. Car had been in storage since 1988. (un-heated garage) It appears to be in pretty fair condition and seems better than some of these projects I've seen for 8-10K. The guy is asking 7K. It's a nice Burgandy color. What do you guys think?
Old 11-25-2001, 02:21 PM
Ruff71
Instructor

Hi,
Have you seen the car? Please be aware that these cars are made of multiple panels. The hood surround is the panel around the hood and headlights, the fenders attach on both sides at the "crest" of this panel. If this panel is damaged between the damaged hood and fender, there is much more work involved. That also translates to more money. Futher cars this old that have been on salted roads may need major frame repair-replacement without regard to mileage.
Bill :p:
Old 11-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 74 front fender question

It's true that the car would have to be looked at to see for sure what panels need replacement, but it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Just do a little reading up on the subject, and go to it. That's how I did mine. The first one was a complete one piece front end install. That was really a whole lot easier than I ever figured it would be. It's more work to get the bumpers and related hardware off than it is to bond the front end on. The second one was a passenger side fender, and the panel that goes around the headlights. This was a little more involved because of the need to glass the panels together as well as bond them, but again, it is doable if you do your homework first. I guess you have to decide what your skill level is, then whether or not you want to tackle it. :yesnod:
Old 11-25-2001, 02:43 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Default Re: 74 front fender question (Ruff71)

I am aware of the salt issue as I live in NH. I have not yet had a good look at the car. Where is the frame likely to be rotted? I do know the headlight mechanisms work fine, can you tell me more about the frame assembly or even direct me to where I might see a explosion type drawing of one? I have spoken to the guy and I can buy the car for 6K. I'm thinking it would have to be real bad for it not to be worth 6K. As always all input highy appreciated.

thanks
VC
Old 11-25-2001, 02:45 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: 74 front fender question (Ruff71)

seeing how this car is origional, i would NOT reccomend getting the 1 peice front end. sure it probably looks better then origional, but it will take away the value of the car. and they are also a BITCH to install. i reccomend going to a few vette shops and asking they're opinion on what to do.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:48 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

this will give you a good idea on where the fender, and top panel are bonded together. just so if you think that the fender is one piece.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:51 PM
Ruff71
Instructor

VC,
Here is a current "frame" thread that might help: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=188527
It would be good if you could find another forum/vette guy to look at the car with you.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 74 front fender question

Quick Reply: 74 front fender question