C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight difference? BBC with aluminum heads vs. SBC with iron heads.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:41 PM
John Dirks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight difference? BBC with aluminum heads vs. SBC with iron heads.

How much weight difference is there?
Old 11-24-2001, 06:39 PM
dkw
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Weight difference? BBC with aluminum heads vs. SBC with iron heads. (John Dirks)

The following is information from "Chevy High Performance" Oct. 2001

Weights are from carb to pan, with an HEI distributor, harmonic balancer, and an iron water pump.

The all iron small block comes in at 520 pounds: with aluminium heads and a iron block - 480 pounds. The lightweight all aluminum motor is 389 pounds.

The all iron big block is 754 pounds : with aluminum heads 660 pounds. (The ZL 1 is just 501 pounds.)

Hope this helps.

[Modified by dkw, 4:42 PM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 07:02 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Weight difference? BBC with aluminum heads vs. SBC with iron heads. (John Dirks)

MY 66 , 427 , convertable Weighs 3080 without me in it, 1/2 half tank of fuel,` alum heads , alum intake, 4 speed ,no spare , no spare carrier assy ,no jack,mini starter & monoleaf rear spring ( 8 Lbs as opposed to 40 + LBS ) no p/s or p/b & temporarily no radio , also has factory side exhaust that is ( I think)lighter than stock ,,,wieghed at New England Dragways electronic scale........................taking wieght off is the same as more hp , anyways read in a magazine that the change to alum heads alone brings a big/block within 40 lbs of a smallblock, ' :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Weight difference? BBC with aluminum heads vs. SBC with iron heads.

Quick Reply: Weight difference? BBC with aluminum heads vs. SBC with iron heads.