C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator on my 1980

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:19 PM
scorciae
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator on my 1980

if i have the headlights on, the rear defroster and hit both power window buttons, my batterty light comes on and my car almost shuts off, do i have a bad alternator, or is this a common old vette thing
Old 11-24-2001, 06:06 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Re: Alternator on my 1980 (scorciae)

A couple of possibilities:
1. If the alternator is the original, stock unit, it will be sized to support the loads you're referring to. Often, the alternators have been replaced with rebuilt units from Checker, and do not have the correct amp rating. The result is what you're observing.
2. If your brushes are worn or your internal regulator is not up to snuff, you can end up with less than spec amp output from the alternator. The units are very simple to rebuild and diagnose. If you'd like a copy of my alternator rebuild paper, drop me an e-mail request to:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 11-24-2001, 06:29 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although that is a bit of a load on an old alternator, I don't believe that your car should stumble like that. As Lars said, you might have an alternator problem. Try pulling your alternator out and taking it to Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc for a free test. BTW, rebuilding one of these alternators, to include voltage regulator and bearings isn't that tough. Beyond that, consider having an alternator/starter shop rebuild it.
Gary
Old 11-24-2001, 10:02 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Alternator on my 1980 (GaryS)

My 1980 stock alternator had the same problem. It is not a 10-SI alternator, but something like a 15-SI.

I converted mine to 100 AMP output and my problems went away.
If I had to do it again, I would get a 100 - 140 AMP chrome one from Summit to dress up the compartment. Plust the Summit alternators are a 10-SI, so they are smaller in size and parts are A LOT more common.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:25 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a connector just above the passenger side valve cover and to the left (looking from front of car). This connector supports all the current (wires from the starter battery terminal) for all accessories and HEI ignition. I found on my 80 that one of the pins had over heated and had corrosion.

This pin also supplies current to the HEI ignition, which needs full voltage to work properly, so if the voltage drops the ignition can begin to miss fire or not produce enough spark to fire the mixture. As a temporary fix, I pull the wires from the connector, crimped with heavy duty terminals, soldered them directly and then covered the connecttion with heat shrink tubing.

After the fix, the car now maintains the correct voltage (never did that since I bought the car 17 years ago) with the defroster or AC on.

May not be your problem, but I would check it out. The connections for the main power wires are critical. I now they used the connector to ease assembly at the factory, but the connector is not a good design to handle the current of later cars with a lot of accessories.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator on my 1980

Quick Reply: Alternator on my 1980