C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering valve will not budge

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 10:23 AM
80Matt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering valve will not budge

Hey guys. Trying to remove my power steering valve for replacement. Had a topic on here about this a week ago titled, "help with power steering valve." Got a lot of good responses. Thanks.

I've been soaking this power steering valve to Pittman arm connection in WD-40 for a week now. Been banging away on it with a ball joint remover and hammer for the same length of time.

Absolutely not budging. I think they are permanently fused together. Feeling frustrated. Anything else that I might try?

Thanks, Matt :mad :smash:
Old 11-24-2001, 11:58 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: power steering valve will not budge (80Matt)

I didn't follow your last post. Is your pitman arm off the steering box? If not you might want to remove the pitman arm off the steering box with a pitman arm puller(very cheap tool to buy) Then drop all your relay rods etc.. as a unit. Are you replacing the valve or rebuilding. If replacing clamp the pitman arm in a vise and put a solid nut on the valve ball stud and 1. heat the end of the pitman arm then smack the solid nut on the end of the ball stud. It is alot easier if you unscrew the valve off the relay rod so you arn't working with a awkward pce. just two small pieces ( stuck valve and pitman arm) #2 Hammer the side of the pitman arm while holding a hammer on the opposite side of the pitman arm. That continuing vibrations has to let it release. :)
Old 11-24-2001, 01:53 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ball joint pickle fork too big. tie rod pickle fork just right w/approx 11/16" open middle & approx 1 11/16" overall width.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:04 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: power steering valve will not budge (nunus79)

Did you try the way I told you to do it?
Old 11-25-2001, 11:42 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: power steering valve will not budge

it can be rebuilt with it on the car.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:59 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: power steering valve will not budge (drives61)

Yeah, but if his ball stud is worn out, he'll have to get it out anyway. I would take the time to get it out, now.

Have you tried the torch andwax trick? I've never tried it myself but it may work here. I would apply some heat to it at the very least.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:34 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

I recently removed my control valve and had one helluva time with it. I had a pitman arm tool with about 3 more feet of pipe on the end of that along with a hammer :smash: :smash: Took quite a bit of effort but it finally came off.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:35 PM
mike79
Intermediate

Replaced my valve 6 times so far, but thats another story. Do it from the left side. Remove the tire. Remove the two bolts that connect the two sections of the valve together and turn the section facing you upside down. This will keep you from damaging the threads where the hoses connect. If you damage these threads no one will take it as a rebiuldable core. Now hit it with a tie rod separator as sugested(not a ball joint separator). It will separate easier.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:36 AM
Ace77
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem way back when.
I ended up hacking the thing off with - you guessed it, a hacksaw - and once it was off, it was alot easier to pound the stub out.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering valve will not budge

Quick Reply: power steering valve will not budge