C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good and Bad night at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 05:16 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good and Bad night at the track

Good stuff - Best 60' of 2.116, Best 1/4 time of 13.826, Best 1/8th time of 9.027. I feel I could have run at least .2 better if the engine wasn't sucking. Got to watch Cappy tune his car in.

Bad stuff - Engine ran like crap, bent pushrod on first run of 17+ sec (didn't want to tear anything up). Got new pushrod: second run engine still ran crappy but I could finish. Got beat by .009 by a Turbo Mazda RX7, I had faster time but they snuck a protree on us and I got a 1.1 reaction time vs Mazda .839 reaction time. I think I bent another pushrod on that run, will have to wait until tomorrow to see. Got scolding for running 13.8 and not having helmet on run with Mazda. Track was sooooooo busy, I only got two runs in.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:54 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Good and Bad night at the track (Maurice)

:cheers: congrats on the new best.

why are you bending so many pushrods. are the rockers to loose or mabey to tight?
Old 11-24-2001, 12:44 PM
SILVRTOY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Good and Bad night at the track (Vetteboy)

I had a $3500 1/4 mile the night #8 Cyl. didn't see any oil while playing with the LT4. What a mess :mad
Old 11-24-2001, 01:40 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Bending pushrods is not a good sign. You gotta figure out what's binding. Did you over rev the engine during your earlier practice sessions? I assume you adjusted the valves before you went out right? If the motor runs poorly even after you readjust the valves, put the compression guage on. Start with the cylinders that had the bent pushrods. Check the rocker arm/stud on that bad pushrod. Look and see if the slot is hitting the stud.

Besides getting a helmet, get a tach & shift light.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:08 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Good and Bad night at the track

:cheers: congrats on the new best.
why are you bending so many pushrods. are the rockers to loose or mabey to tight?
Thank you, and I don't know why this is happening. I have had extreme problems with my rocker arms loosening up after I drive it for just a little while. I have also tried the locking style nuts and they haven't worked all that well either. I am ready to just adjust them and weld the nuts in place ;)

Bending pushrods is not a good sign. You gotta figure out what's binding. Did you over rev the engine during your earlier practice sessions? I assume you adjusted the valves before you went out right? If the motor runs poorly even after you readjust the valves, put the compression guage on. Start with the cylinders that had the bent pushrods. Check the rocker arm/stud on that bad pushrod. Look and see if the slot is hitting the stud.

Besides getting a helmet, get a tach & shift light.
I didn't over rev the engine I don't think. I adjusted the rocker arms and drove normally out to the track. Signed in and got my number, car was still running great. I pulled straight up to the starting line as there wasn't anybody in line. I held the brake, rev'ed the engine, and launched with out as much as a squeek out of the tires. I had a 2.1 60' time which is good for me but as soon as I started picking up speed I could tell something was wrong by how the engine was running. I shifted into second early to see what was going on, it sounded like it was backfiring and I thought that the rockers were adjusted wrong or my timing was off. I coasted to the end of the track and babied it back to the parking lot where I wanted to recheck the rockers. That is where I saw the rocker arm all cockeyed. I will post a pick in a little bit to show how bent it was. I haven't taken anything back apart today to see what is going on with it as FRUSTRATION has started to set in. I have seen people with "valve girters or valve girdles?" Would this help keeping everything adusted? I don't know if that is what they are called but the one that I think of is 70purpleLS7's posted a pic before.

I will take a pic of the rocker arm and post a pic in a little while. I don't know when I will look at the engine. I agree that a working tach, shift light and helmet are the next order of business.

Anyway 13.826!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2001, 04:09 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Maurice,
Pimp Daddy Cappy Here, Sorry to see you having all that trouble with your push rods....When you walked up with that piece in your hand I thought it was part of your throttle linkage.......
Good to see you out at the track....my times got better as the night got long. Best time for the night 13.4 @ 104.15 MPH....Reaction times are dropping too....@ .718.....60 ft time 2.088.....1/8 ET 8.716 @ 83.65 MPH....I really need to switch my rear gears out from 2.88 to 3:73....Many have said this should really wake this car up....I'm going to run till I'm in the 12's...I am so close yet so far....I must be doing something wrong :confused: Anyway good luck getting that engine back in shape.....Aloha, Pimp Daddy Cappy :seeya
Old 11-25-2001, 03:50 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: Good and Bad night at the track (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

P-daddy,
Looks like you're one step away from 12s. You know what is waaayyy cool is that your Vette is BOTH Show & Go!! 3.73=12s ;)

You and Maurice are dusting me. So long as "last one to 12s isn't the rotten egg", I'll keep on trying.

Good job on the 13.4!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 11-25-2001, 07:05 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Good and Bad night at the track (nunus79)

nunus79,
I also need to get me a good tach light....I'm not shifting consistently at 6000 rpm. When I miss my shift point the car just seems to flaten out.....I also noticed my lifters started clicking again....is it possible for these things to come out of adjustment even with the allen lock nuts on them???????Will I have to adjust every time after I make a hard run?????I thought that's what these lock nuts were suposed to do....eliminate all these adjustments...I just installed new lifters and pushrods....could this be why they are coming out of adjustment?????....Anyway, I'm going to set them again today...Hope I see you down at the track or get to meet you sometime in the future....Last one in the 12's is a rotten egg :D Aloha, Pimp Daddy Cappy signing off here :seeya
Old 11-25-2001, 07:12 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

.....I also noticed my lifters started clicking again....is it possible for these things to come out of adjustment even with the allen lock nuts on them???????Will I have to adjust every time after I make a hard run?????I thought that's what these lock nuts were suposed to do....eliminate all these adjustments...
Welcome to my HELL!!!!!
Old 11-26-2001, 12:08 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Yo Maurice,
Pimp Daddy Cappy here,
I went out to check my lifter lash today....used my stethoscope...everything okay....no tick tick tick coming from the lifters/valves...however guess what I found?.....I had two bolts (one loose and one missing) from my headers....tighten them suckers up....and tick tick tick went away....I'm a happy P-Daddy Cappy :) I remember on THIS forum being told many many times to check those bolts....but do I follow the great forum advice?...nope..... :cry Where can I get a set of those locking bolts?...and do they have bolts with allen heads?....The wrench will not go over the bolt head with the header pipes so close. Aloha, Pimp Daddy Cappy :seeya
Old 11-26-2001, 07:27 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

however guess what I found?.....I had two bolts (one loose and one missing) from my headers....tighten them suckers up....and tick tick tick went away....
I had 2 missing a month ago when I checked mine but didn't have any additional noise coming from the engine compartment.

Here is the pic of my bent pushrod. Isn't it beautiful?

[Modified by Maurice, 1:27 PM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 08:22 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Yo Maurice,
Picked up a Tach with Shift Light today.....I know I'm shifting too early. The light should help me with the shift at the correct RPM. As speed gets up around 80 and 90...in the dark....my eyes are not on the tach anymore....I'm looking down the strip for anything in my way....like a piece of a car from the run just prior to mine. Also found those Allen header bolts....however not the locking kind. Aloha, Pimp Daddy Cappy :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Good and Bad night at the track

Quick Reply: Good and Bad night at the track