C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What carb to get??

Old 11-24-2001, 03:37 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What carb to get??

Ive been contemplating upgrading carbs recently...I have a Edelbrock 750 right now with vacuum secondaries, but a friend of mine was telling about how when i launch the car it looses its vacuum some and causes the secondaries to close, which makes sense cause i can sense what hes saying when im just cruising around on the streets cause if i dont let the clutch out slow or give it a lot of gas, itll bog down...

So i was thinking of going with mechanical secondary carb...As far as i can tell Edelbrock doesnt make a mech. secondary carb :bs . So what would be the best carb to go with?? If its a matter of gas mileage, i dont really car since its not my every day driver.If there is one with a electric choke i would rather get that, but if not id put one on after the fact.
Thanks....I appreciate your help...
Chris

[Modified by 74VETTE, 2:38 AM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 07:44 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What carb to get?? (74VETTE)

well chris you already know my view but lets see what everybody else says.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What carb to get?? (pats406nitrovette)

I switched from Edelbrock to a Holley 3310 750 vac sec. This carb is a dual feed and not the double pumper. I was pleased with the ease of setup and outa the box plug and play traits of the Holley. It needs less tinkering than the Edelbrock which could never hold the idle speed?? I too question the value of the vac secondaries. Eventually I'm going to switch to a 750 double pumper with mechanical sec.

I don't remember exactly, but I think the Demon's were much more $$.

Old 11-24-2001, 08:34 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What carb to get?? (74VETTE)

What is wrong with vacuum secondaries? If they are set right, they work great..... Especially on the steet. When you open the throttle, the vacuum does get lower but so does air velocity through the carb. This air velocity is what "pulls" fuel through the jets and delivery system of the carb. With a huge vacuum drop(like wide open throttle with mechanical secondaries) there is no air flow through the venturi's so performance is terrible (That is why a BIG one barrel won't work.). As the engine speed increases so does air/fuel flow through the carb. when the vacuum gets high enough to add more air fuel ( via the secondaries) they begin to open. This timing/rate is adjustable by the secondary diaphram on Holley's. On others they are adjusted by the air valve spring tension. So you have a "demand system" that will control the fuel/air flow as needed. When the secondaries open all at once, you will get a huge "bog" unless the engine is running fast enough to handle that much flow.On the strip you are revving the engine and pretty much keeping it wide open and mechanical secondaries work OK.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:53 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: What carb to get?? (silvervetteman)

Why not a Q-Jet? Mine feeds my mildly modded L-48 (see sig) and still gets 18-20 mpg on the highway. It is actually a very sophisticated design.

Primary fuel flow is controlled by a power piston with a spring. Less vacuum more gas, like it should be. Secondarys are mechanical but with a large air valve door that only lets in as much air as the engine needs.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:09 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: What carb to get?? (SteveG75)

Go with the Demon, I have the 650 Speed Demon and it's really kick A**.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:09 PM
79er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What carb to get?? (Paul 75 L82)

I vote for the Q-jet. You will not find a better carb for street!
Old 11-24-2001, 07:07 PM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: What carb to get?? (silvervetteman)

When I add my Demon with mec secondaries the diference was big. If set up right there is no bog. But you have to spend some time to get it right but when you do there are great.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:03 AM
Blkblt
Drifting

Default Re: What carb to get?? (je68)

Barry Grant Speed Demon.

No question.

Ask Lars. :yesnod: :yesnod:

Jeff
Keep on :seeya :seeya :flag

Get notified of new replies

To What carb to get??