C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition shielding question please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 12:28 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Ignition shielding question please. (JRChurch)

The only protection I am aware of are those items listed below, and they apply specifically to the chrome shielding on 71-72 models (not necessarily the "box" style used from 68-70).

1. A square-shaped rubber grommets that slides into a square-shaped groove at the top of the each bracket that mounts to the intake manifold. As logic would dictate, each rubber grommet holds 4 plug wires in a square pattern.

2. A thin plastic shield mounted on the underside of the top metal shield (the one that actually covers the distributor). This plastic shield is held on by four plastic "pins" that pertrude through four holes in the metal shield (rectuangular pattern). The tops of these "pins" are rounded and smooth.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

[Modified by SharkAttack, 10:29 PM 11/23/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 12:28 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Ignition shielding question please. (JRChurch)

Are there supposed to be rubber spacers the go in the distributor shielding support brackets?
Yes! :yesnod: I just replaced one of mine. Part # A8081 from Ecklers. They are a four hole rubber grommet. If you have 8mm wires or larger, it's a very tight fit. I'm going to grind out my support opening just a hair to get them to fit with the larger wires I just installed. As for your miss, I sure hope it's that easy, but I'm not the one to ask. . . good luck.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:43 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Re: Ignition shielding question please. (SharkAttack)

The only protection I am aware of are those items listed below, and they apply specifically to the chrome shielding on 71-72 models (not necessarily the "box" style used from 68-70).
SharkAttack,
Sorry, I just had to reply. (This doesn't answer JRChurch's question)
However, I wanted to clarify that sometime in mid year production of
the '70 model year, the '71 style sheilding was used.
I have a June build, and have the '71 style.
I actually had a guy argue with me that I had a '71 vette, based on the ignition
sheilding.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Barry
Old 11-25-2001, 12:18 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Ignition shielding question please. (Barry's70LT1)

Your reply is welcome. I was trying to keep it simple since he asked about the insulator and grommets rather than the different types of shielding used on the early Sharks. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition shielding question please.

Quick Reply: Ignition shielding question please.