C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 11:58 PM
RoyArms
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailing arm assemblies

The right rear wheel started to squeak. After looking into it, the wheel has quite a wobble, and the whole trailing arm moves slightly when run on jackstands. I am thinking about getting a whole new trailing arm assembly, the bearings, spindles, rotor, and all. For money reasons, I am looking into getting a rebuilt unit and giving them mine in exchange. I really can't be without a car for a month while they rebuild it, so ecklers deal won't work. Corvette America seems to do it the way I want. Anyone else done this before? Anywhere you know of for a better price(its 500$ after they determine mine to be rebuildable)? Any tips on taking the trailing arm out? Anything related to this?

I know someone has something to put into this.
Thx.....
Old 11-24-2001, 12:39 AM
RoyArms
Racer

Default Re: Trailing arm assemblies (JRChurch)

did you use them? if so how long did it take? I can't be without my car for that long, thats why I was looking for a place that will give me a rebuilt trailing arm assembly, and once I swap em, I send mine back and they refund core charge.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:13 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm assemblies (RoyArms)

I used Bairs. Called them and they had a rebuilt one in stock. I got it in about 3 days, during that time, I took mine off. Sent my old one back in their box.

Worked out great.

Terry
Old 11-24-2001, 03:19 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can tell you that no matter where you get the trailing arms, they are gonna be a major deal to get out. Whatever you think it will take for time, double it at least. And have a sawzall ready with a stack of long metal cutting blades, and a couple of cans of SiliKroil. Be prepared for a tremendous amount of frustration. But, look at the good side, once you are done you can tell everybody you did it, and that makes you more of a man. :D
Old 11-24-2001, 10:05 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Do yourself a favor and call Bair's. You'll get the best price, plus these guys do they're own work while other's maybe just a middleman. Bair's did the bearing work on three out of four of my cars and they've been perfect.

Old 11-24-2001, 10:11 AM
Bill Meyer
Racer

I had the trailing arms, ss brakes, struts, etc. done on my 1977 had Muskegon Brake do it. Was pleased the $ and quality. This is just another option. :cheers:
Old 11-24-2001, 10:13 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Does anybody know if Bairs sells offset trailing arms? My originals are pretty much trash, and I'd like a little extra room for the big back tires.

Dave
Old 11-24-2001, 10:25 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Trailing arm assemblies (Rolling Thunder)

Roy,
Bairs is awesome but I see you live in Florida. Check out Van Steel http://www.vansteel.com/ which also has a great reputation. I believe they are in 12285 West Street Clearwater, Florida 33762 USA
727-561-9199800-418-5397Fax: 727-561-7399
and should give you a good turn around.

Hey Dave,
I think they do. I will check my papers here in a little while. Have you checked out there website? E-mail http://www.bairs.com/ them or call them and they will send you a video and a complete package of what the sell and do.
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 8:32 AM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 10:50 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Trailing arm assemblies (Nomad78SA)

I'd use Vansteel If your in Florida. They simply " DO GOOD WORK" :)
Old 11-24-2001, 10:53 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Thanks Neil, I couldn't find offsets on their page so I just emailed them.

Dave
Old 11-24-2001, 10:58 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Dave,
went and picked up my 4 speed at the tranny shop the other day. There was a 66 El Camino stilling inside all primered and dusty and did not give it a thought. Me and my friend got talking to the guy who owned it working there and Lord behold had a Chevy 540CI laying up in it. Makes me want to come up and see your car even more so now. He did not offer to fire it up though which was a bummer.
Neil in Tenn
Old 11-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Well the "primered and dusty" part fits. :lol: I'm embarrassed to say that I have let mine sit waaaaaay too long. Doctor gave me the thumbs up (no surgery, just blood thinners) to go back to work on it this week, so I guess I'm fresh out of excuses. I think it's time to drag out the to do list and dust it off. Too many things started and nothing finished. :crazy:

You'd be welcome here anytime, Neil.

Dave

Old 11-24-2001, 02:24 PM
RoyArms
Racer

Ok, I got where to get the assembly worked out, any tips on actually doing the job? I did some rear end work before and I know of the time spent on getting rusted bolts out and the great sawsall.... anything in there that someone found a trick to?
Old 11-24-2001, 10:51 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

For anyone that's interested in using Bairs and need offset trailing arms, I just got a response from Brian Bair. They do carry the offset arms. The total rebuild is still $299 per side plus $350 for the pair of offsets. I just asked Santa for reciprocating saw for Christmas :D . BTW said about 10 to 12 working days on the job.

Dave
Old 11-25-2001, 10:07 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the rear end about several months ago in my 2 car garage. I was unable to remove the bolts I rented the sawzall from home depot and bought about 15 blades for 1 side. PIA. I couldn't discover any shortcuts in the job it was just grunt labor. If you have the time to do it wiegh it against the cost of someone else and just working OT on your present job, if possible. That was a thought that kept popping up while I was in the middle of this hellacious job. Oh yea buy the stainless steel parts for anything that is related to the rear end. Good luck it is frustrating to do these rears on these old cars but they are doable.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:08 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right rear wheel started to squeak. After looking into it, the wheel has quite a wobble, and the whole trailing arm moves slightly when run on jackstands. <snip>
You didn't actually run the car with the rear off the ground did you? The wobble could have been caused by the yoke ears hitting each other. The car was not designed to be run with the shafts at that angle and you could very well have damaged your yokes. I would fully inspect them.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm assemblies

Quick Reply: Trailing arm assemblies