C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 11:18 PM
wanta81shark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks?

Hello to the board,

I was just wondering if anybody had pictures of their black 1980 or 1981 Corvette Sharks that they wouldn't mind sharing with me.

I'm 16 years old now, and I am trying to work up the nerve to go find a job in my town. I figured one of the best ways to do so would be to see if I could get some pictures.

I do know that it is totally impractically, and illogical for me to even think about getting a 'Vette at my age, everybody has told me the reasons why it is a bad car for me. I know I will just sound stubborn, but I would like to at least TRY to see if I can manage to get one [Lots of saving to do! :D]. Even a car that needed some work would be nice. I know Vette parts cost more than other car parts do, but I would be in no super hurry to finish it.

What I would like would be a 1980 L82 4 Spd, Black on doeskin or black interior. I've decided on the hard parts already, That way I will be ready when I get my money together!!

Right now I am just thinking outloud, its nice to have some people to talk to about Corvettes, I don't really know anybody that is really into 'Vettes that I can just chat to about them. [My dad likes them and would like a Chrome Bumper Shark, he's not seriously into them though.]

Thanks,

Denny

PS-Going to pick up some application this coming week if school does not get in the way.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:44 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks? (wanta81shark)

Click on the pic in my sig to get to my web page. There are more pics there.

Old 11-24-2001, 02:34 AM
ice pac
Instructor

Me and you are in the same boat. I'm 17 and I have friend whose selling a black '81 shark. The interior is in desperate need of raplacement though. It's a little rough around the edges but altogether a nice package. He only wants $5500 for it. I just need to sell my dirtbike before I can afford it.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:05 PM
wanta81shark
Advanced

Default Re: Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks? (Chris Fowler '80)

Chris-Thanks for the link. You have a very nice looking Corvette! :cool:

Ice Pacc-Sent ya an email

Old 11-24-2001, 02:26 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

I remember being 16 and wanting to own a Vette. A marriage, kids, military, school, work, divorce, racing stock cars, learning to fly, a few sports cars, a harley and 34 years later I finally got around to buying one. :D :lol: :D

Best way to get into a Vette faster than I did... get your Dad to buy one! Second fastest way is get a good education so you can always afford to buy and keep the Vette of your dreams. Welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-24-2001, 03:35 PM
lou
Racer

I wasted 15 years dreaming about a vette. That was 15 years too long :cry .There is always going to be a hundred reason why you can't and probably feels like the same amount of people saying you can't. If you work hard anything is possible. good luck!
Old 11-24-2001, 10:08 PM
wanta81shark
Advanced

Default Re: Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks? (lou)

Wanderer-Well I wouldn't want my Dad to buy me something like a 'Vette, alot of the people I know from school who have their parents buy them nice stuff, usually destroy it shortly. Not saying I would do that, but I just wouldn't feel right driving it if I did not pay for it. A Vette should be a sign of your own accomplishments IMHO. I'm working on the education part though. What year is your Roadster? Is that a 73? Looks good! Was it worth the 34 four year wait?

Lou, Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it alot! BTW- :cool: Vette

Old 11-24-2001, 10:19 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

hey Denny.

Here's somethin you might like. I'm 18, look at my sig. wanna know how i did it ? buckle up. my parents bought me my first car at 14 to fix up so i could take it to the local shows. it was a 69 Camaro convertible. 283/powerglide with almost every available option for that year. needed floors, inner rockers, and a paint job. so when i got to high school, i made that my project. I chose a technical high school with an auto body course, got the new floors and rockers for X-mas and welding skills and started the resto. once i finished that, came the freshening of the motor. intake, carb, tune up for the 45,000 mile gem (NOM). when i had it running how i wanted it. I then got a job at an auto body shop to learn my painting skills. by the end of my sophmore year in High School, I finished my restoration. put temps on it, drove it to my first car show, and some one offered me 10,500 bucks for the car. thinking that the total investment was 6000 bucks, i took the money and run, then a week later came home with my dream car. but dont you DARE wreck one, I'll tell you this, fiberglass is not cheap to repair and a lot of body men hate doing it. it cost me 8 grand to get it back on the road after a run in with the local wildlife. (ok so the insurance company payed 7500 but you get the idea)

oh and thats a red 72 drop top, it has a chrome front bumper, not plastic.
Mine is a 69 if you couldnt tell from my sn

[Modified by Corzvette69, 9:20 PM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 10:33 PM
C3Vettesrock
Racer

Age is nothing man, I bought mine at 15. Now I'm 16 and have a 1977 Shark with a zz4 in it :) lucky me I guess. How do I do it? Work ALOT! Cops are after us too, so watch out if you do get one. Me and my friends will go to sonic and a few cops will sit across the street and wait for us to do something. Good luck getting your vette man
Old 11-24-2001, 10:41 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Yeah I agree with the previous posts. Me and my brother split the cost of our first car, a 96 Monte Carlo. Obviously, that didn't do much to satisfy the need for speed. He paid me off for my half of the car,and I went back to work at the supermarkt 65 hours a week, and I now own a 79 Vette. You can't beat hard work. Also the satisfaction you get of owning the car 100% and paying for everything is a nice feeling, especially in high school where kids get everything. Its great to tell them its YOUR car, not a parents gift. Put it like this: Corvette at 18, and mommy and daddy didn't buy it. Good luck and happy hunting :cheers:
Old 11-24-2001, 11:22 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear from you young guys. Good to know that teenagers are into Vettes. The older generation will be passing the torch to you in a few years. Keep your dream , get a job and you will have that '81 soon.

I had a '76 Vette that I sold last Sat. The man that bought it was 60 yrs old. Said he had wanted a Vette his whole life. Just figured he better buy one before its to late.

Don't wait that long.

[Modified by bamavettes, 9:24 PM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 11:37 PM
wanta81shark
Advanced

Default Re: Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks?

Hey guys,

Corzvette69-I hope I did not come across wrong in my last post, in a case like yours and your parents buying you your Camero that needed fixing up, is different than some body's parent going out and buying their kids some brandnew/like new vehichle. Thats cool that you learned some much with yours. Those first Camero's were really nice, a friend of mine has got a blue 69 coupe that he restored and its pretty neat. [Though no where near as nice as a Vette :D]

Unfortunatly, my school does not have any type of auto/body/welding classes. but next summer if the scheduling works out right, I plan on taking a auto mechanics course at a local community college. They have a few different courses, will have to check what is offerend during the summer.

Corzvette69, C3Vettesrock & 79corvette02

What do you guys pay for insurance? I had my mom ask our insuracnce agent one time when she was on the phone with her, it was like $1400 for 6 mo for for coverage. Since I will be paying for my 'Vette in cash, and won't have a car payment, I think I will be able to afford the insurance.

Glad that yall replied, its cool to see that people my age have their dream Vettes.

Maybe '02 will be my year to get one?
Denny

Old 11-26-2001, 08:47 PM
MikeZiggy
7th Gear

First post so hi all. Anyways I am 16 and got my 80 vette about 3 months ago. I don't have pics yet and probably won't for a while. Good luck with your job and search though, it will be worth it.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:29 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks? (MikeZiggy)

I guess I'll check in as a fella yungin' ownin' a 'vette. Ok so Im not southern, but anyway, to my point. bear with me its long.

When I was 15 my dad talked of selling his junk '77(it was junk...sorry to say)...I jokingly told him to give it to me, and he did...wow. so there it sat, and it sat, and it sat...about the only thing I did was get it running, and let it run every day while it came back to life from a 7 year hybernation(actually it was like 8 or 9 year hybernation by the time It started)...I still didn't have a job, I was just using my dads tools, and his old repair manuals. so to make it short, when I turned 17 I got a VW jetta because its was logical for my surf board, and to make part runs for the vette. well here I am 18, and I finally have the vette on the road(been about 4 months)...and Im slowly breaking it in, driving it 2-3 sometimes 4 days a week. Hopefully it'll eventually become a daily driver. I had a job for about a year, which got me a lot of things I wanted, and money saved...Then a week ago I got fired/quit(another story)...so now all I can do is cheap stuff to the vette(is their such a thing??)...like detail the engine bay, repaint rear tire carier, wash and wax, and other small things...

Also, let me say this. Don't let what people say discourage you...my DAD of all people tried to tell me how much I would dispise the car because of its work and hard ride...but I love it...if its what you want, go for it.

As for insurance, I guess Im lucky, my parents take care of that(and gas 4 times a month). But I do know that the insurance is under my dads name, and me as the primary driver of the jetta and him as the primary driver of the vette, but since im under his insurance, I can drive any of his cars and be insured...And technically the jetta and vette are his(under his name)...I get them signed to me when I get into a university...(hopefully next month)...

Hope this helps some.

Daniel
PS. don't let these guys fool you, there are a lot of repairs you can do to a vette for under $25...it just takes more work(like rebuilding instead of replacing)...
EDIT: by the way, the vette in my sig is the same "junker" '77 that my dad almost sold. My mom told me he regrets giving it to me now, because I proved it could be brought back cheaply and with little work...maybe i can talk him into buying me a 'vert and taking his back....I'll have to work on that one :rolleyes:

[Modified by daniel77350, 1:36 AM 11/27/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks?

Quick Reply: Anybody have pics of black '80 or 81 Sharks?