C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 11:17 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK!

I replaced my plugs/wires today with NGK TR55/Taylors. All the plugs were done in a half hour except that #@$%^&^king :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss #7 Plug. Had to go out and buy a universal swivel to get it out. Thank god for the low torque required for these Aluminum head plugs or I'd never get it out. And how about that friggen razor sharp wire harness clip right where your wrist is. Good design. Looked like I tried to commit suicide :D

Anyway, the last plug had the Damn Puck missing. (hopefully not wedged in my rings and scoring the friggin cylinder wall) Get these peices of $ H I T out of your engine. Crappy design.

The Taylors are a dream to install! No guessing if they are on. A nice snap! Make sure to coat the insides with the supplied silicone grease. The rubber boot only! not on the contacts! Remember Dielectric ....

Engine idles smooth as glass now!
Old 11-24-2001, 12:06 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (chuckster)

right on chuck. :cheers:

Im sure your puck got blasted out the exhaust port. :)

I wonder what buffoon signed off on using those pucks on the electrode.... :crazy:
Old 11-24-2001, 04:32 AM
ChasNMe
Pro

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (kewlbrz)

chuckster, kewlbrz - not much of a mechanic so how about some heads up... :confused: :D
looking in the Ecklers catalog there are at least 4 sets of wires and plugs. wires 90 to 140, plugs 30 to 60. is there much difference for the price. what are your opinions??????
are the ThunderVolt 50 wires the best because of the 10.4mm size? what makes ngk better than ACDelco or bosch???? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:29 AM
c5vetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (chuckster)

I was undecided on replacing the spark plugs, but now I'm undecided on which wires to get?
:cheers:

[Modified by c5vetteman, 9:28 AM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 09:42 AM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (c5vetteman)

Chuck -You really got worked up over this swap. I got as pissed when I pulled my stockers out. I completely agree, the stock plugs are crap. About the #7, just remove anything that's in your way next time. That clip comes off the coil mount real easily. I can get the plug out with just a 3 in. wobble extension if I get all of the hazards out of the way.

ChaseN -Which plugs to get depends on what you want from them. Strictly performance...get all copper i.e. NGK TR55's. Longevity...get some platinum or Iridium tipped plugs.
A plug wire upgrade decision is down to 2 options. The Magnacor are highly touted on this forum, they do have really good numbers. I have the ThunderVolt-50's. These wires were the only hand inspected units available to me. They have the least resistance of any wires as well. The quality of these wires is far better than either the standard Taylors or the MSD's imo.
BTW, you'll get the best deal from one of the Forum Vendors.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:17 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (ChasNMe)

Chas, see my post in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=187480
Old 11-24-2001, 02:21 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

#7 is a tuff one, but its not so bad using the Snapon Swivel S9721, just take your time.
Old 11-24-2001, 04:26 PM
sbkim
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (wallstAL)

Al,

How does the Snap On Swivel different from the ordinary universal swivel? I am dreading the next plug change and I was thinking about picking up Snap On if it's that much better than universal swivel.

THanks
Old 11-24-2001, 06:01 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (sbkim)

Al,

How does the Snap On Swivel different from the ordinary universal swivel? I am dreading the next plug change and I was thinking about picking up Snap On if it's that much better than universal swivel.

THanks
Here is a pic of the snap on swivel from my installation procedure on my site.

The difference in a normal swivel is that the socket is integrated to the swivel. Very slick.

Old 11-24-2001, 06:21 PM
Stevedore
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (sbkim)

I bought that Snap-On swivel socket ($40!), and it IS a big help. Still not an easy job though. The Snap-On socket has 2 swivel locations, which helps it get around corners. You could try the same with a sparkplug socket & 2 universals, but the whole mess would start to get sort of long & cumbersome.

Steve.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:38 PM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

I also changed my plugs and wires today when I installed my B&B headers. I was surprised to see my 01 had Danso plugs in it :cuss I put Bosch Plat 4's with GM Performance (red) wires. I am happy with the headers, plugs and wires :)
Old 11-25-2001, 12:25 AM
FRC Tom
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (NastyC5)

I also changed my plugs and wires today when I installed my B&B headers. I was surprised to see my 01 had Danso plugs in it :cuss I put Bosch Plat 4's with GM Performance (red) wires. I am happy with the headers, plugs and wires :)
I hope you do better with the Bosch plugs than I did. I lost 4 rwhp when I tested them in my Z06. Hib Halverson told me to get rid of the 4+4s so I put the stock ones back in and got the 4 back. http://www.c5frc.com/Tom/dyno.htm

[Modified by FRC Tom, 11:30 PM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 09:14 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK! (FRC Tom)

Just bought an 02, are they still installing these plugs? I remember them as problems in the C4's, would have thought that would be corrected by now :mad
Old 11-26-2001, 07:50 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

With all the bad experiences people have been having with the stock plugs I decided to check mine (2000 with 8kmi). I pulled two plugs, one had the puck, one didn't :-(.

Now I just need to find a local supplier for the TR55's. Think I'll do a compression test to see if the cylinders with missing pucks are down on compression.

I wonder if GM/Delco is aware of the crappy plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK!

Quick Reply: Stock Platinum Plugs SUCK! What were they thinking with that little PUCK!