C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 10:29 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned

After calling around to several vendors again and asking specific questions about the parts in their kits, here is what I have learned.

1. The HD idler arm listed in Vette brakes is not the same as the MOOG arm, but both have larger diameters than the Zip arm. The Zip arm is almost the same as stock, a hair narrower (according to them)

2. The inner tie rods and sleeves which are not included in the Zip kit can be purchased separately, but are usually not necessary. The sleeves provided with the VBP kit will not always work on the stock or other replacement vendors Tie rods. (They said that they should, but that some vendors don't use the same threading) Kind of strange if you ask me.

3. The bushings included with the Zip kit are Energy suspension. These are not the same as the Polygraphite, but the new formulation does include more graphite in the mixture. The % graphite which according to Polygraphite, directly relates to the squeeking, is higher in the polygraphite brand name, but energy suspension says that at higher percentages, the bushings lose compressive strength.

4. The remainder of the parts in the different kits are all about the same.

So, I bought the Zip kit and supported the Forum. Saved from $50-170 depending on the vendor.

I the ordered some KYB shocks, the VBP 460 lb front springs and new front bearings.

I'll deal with the suspension first, then brakes and finally steering.
Thanks for all the help to this point.

Expect more questions as I get going on these projects in the next couple of weeks. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 11-23-2001, 10:52 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned (phoenix)

Wow! Talk about research. You seem to have squeezed every cent outa that purchase. Good Luck. Take your time. For me that was an enjoyable repair.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:40 AM
Dwaynes69BB
Burning Brakes

Location: I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for ya.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I also used the Muskegon Poly kit and all went well. Best price I could find, and quality was great, except for those squeking poly bushings. If I had it to do over again, I would use the rubber bushings
Old 11-24-2001, 08:25 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned (Dwaynes69BB)

Dewaynes69BB, you said "If I had it to do over again, I would use the rubber bushings". I'm just curious, why? Squeaks?

Phoenix, thanks for the info. I hope to be doing this job soon myself. Pics & tips would be appreciated after you finish the job. :yesnod:
Old 11-24-2001, 09:08 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned (jerryp58)

Oh yea, forgot to mention that there is very little graphite in the Muskegon poly bushings. They are the older style made by a smaller producer. (At least that is what the salesperson told me. She couldn't confirm it with tech)
Old 11-24-2001, 09:49 AM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a heavy duty idler arm that was way bigger than the stock idler arm. I can't remember who I bought it from. When I put side mount headers on my car , they would not clear the heavy duty idler arm. This thing was really heavy duty it weight a lot more than the stock arm and stuck down about a 1/2" lower.

Get notified of new replies

To Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned

Quick Reply: Made the front end kit purchase, here's what I learned