C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seat Covers

Old 11-23-2001, 07:05 PM
Robmaxfli
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Seat Covers

Does anyone know how difficult it is for the do it yourselfer to install leather seat covers> I have an '81 with good foam. I noticed that there are how to videos on installing them. Are these videos worth buying or are the instructions adequate. Also, how would you rate the leather-like seat covers to the actual leather covers? Any install advice is appreciated.
Old 11-23-2001, 08:44 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Leather Seat Covers (Robmaxfli)

Robmxfli,
ACC offers this time of the year freel installation of seat covers if you buy all the componets from them. I had my 74 seats rebuilt by them and they did a great job at a reasonable price.
Ed
Old 11-23-2001, 09:08 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Its doable if you have a friend help you. I would recommend buying the video, hogring pliers, the "hook" tool for the cover retainers, and the seat cover stretcher tool (only use it on the webing section of the covers, or you'll damage the leather). If you have all of the tools and are real patient the job is a pain, but well worth it. It took me about 12 hrs to do all 4 sections of the seat. I also had to weld 2 of the adjuster nuts back onto the frame which took a little time. Also, buy a set of hollow punchs to punch out the pivot bolt and adjuster bolt holes. Probably the scariest moment was when I had to cut the covers with a knife to install the button for the back release. It's a little un-nerving to cut on your new leather covers, but they don't come with any holes in them. I got mine from Eckler's and they were the 100% leather. I've heard the part leather & part vinyl covers are easier to install. Also, I'd suggest going a head and replacing the foam too even though yours is in pretty good shape. You won't want to do this job a second time. Good Luck. :cheers:
Old 11-23-2001, 09:51 PM
Jack78
Safety Car

Default Re: Leather Seat Covers (Jason Staley)

I did my interior about 18 mos ago using Al Knoch covers - they are the OEM style half leather and half vinyl. Jason is right about the tools - you MUST have the hog ring pliers and the "hook" tool to mount the covers. I used the half and half covers because several folks warned me that all leather covers were much more difficult - it seems that vinyl will stretch and then contract - but stretched leather is stretched for good - so having the vinyl side panels gives a much higher probability of gettinga nice tight fit. It wasn't that difficult to do - took me most of a weekend. Unless you want to take advantage of one of the suppliers "free" mounting specials, I'd say go for it! Good luck!
Old 11-23-2001, 11:04 PM
Robmaxfli
Navigator

Default Re: Leather Seat Covers (ED DINAPOLI)

Ed, Free installation always sounds good to me. Who exactly is ACC? Did you ship them your seats and have them do it? Thanks
Old 11-23-2001, 11:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I"m sure somehow that an experienced upholsterer finds hog ring pliars easy to use, but not me, for some strange reason....
at any rate, use tie wraps, heavy ones....work fine, and last forever...

GENE
Old 11-24-2001, 08:38 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Robmaxfli,
Corvette America is the company [vettebox@corvetteameica.com or 800 458 3475]. I sent them my seats, I paid the freight going out. They sent me my seats in 1 week freight prepaid back to me. The leather was of very good quality and the workmaship was first quality. I would check around for dealers who handle Corvette America ineriors for price especially if you are going to replace the whole interior. Be carefull of the carpet its the weak link in their interiors.
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Leather Seat Covers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather Seat Covers