C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 06:34 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd?

I have a line on a 73 Big Block 4spd. He want's 9500 and I think I can get it for 9K. Is this a worthy investment? I'm thinking of buying it to tide me over until I can afford a 68-72 roadster.
Old 11-23-2001, 06:52 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd? (vcole@metrocast.net)

If it is a numbers matching car in good shape that price is reasonable.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:32 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd? (vcole@metrocast.net)

That's a loaded question. It could be a steal or a rust bucket. What's it need? How's the frame, suspension, brakes, electrical, interior, paint, tranny, engine, etc? :smash:
Old 11-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd? (foundvettelifeisgood)

Coupe or convertible? Original motor? Frame condition? Body damage? Chuck
Old 11-23-2001, 08:42 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

It is supposed to be a 90000 mile matching numbers car with a new clutch/p plate. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I did speak to the guy on the phone and he sounds sincere enough. He said the interior is in nice condition and that it has been stored winters. I was looking for input to see if it was worth pursuing further as it's out in the sticks a few hours from me. I'm certainly no Corvette expert but I have a relative who is very knowledgable and has had numerous vettes. He told me to look at the door jam/window pillar and the frame in the rear where it turns in away from the rockers towards the wheel wells as common rot spots. It sound from the postings that it is at least worth my time to take a good look at it. I welcome any advice or warnings about what to look for when I do so.

thanks
VC
Old 11-23-2001, 08:43 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Default Re: What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd? (Chuck Gongloff)

Coupe, had it been a ragtop at that price I would most definately had a better look at it.

thanks
VC
Old 11-24-2001, 12:43 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

9k is well under market for a #'s matching 73 BB, of course a lot depends on what it needs. I picked mine up for 11.5K with 48k (now 51k) original miles everything matching that I can tell, it really could have been a survivor car with just a little interior work and a new nose, for comparison. I personally think I got a very good deal on mine. So 9k sounds very reasonable to me if it's in good shape, especially a BB with a 4spd. I don't think you'll want to trade from a 73 since they are such a unique year and so easy to spot, albeit I wouldn't mind a 69BB black vert either.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 11-24-2001, 12:48 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

73's are great cars, truly unique. A big block coupe or roadster in reasonable condition (numbers matching of course) is well worth $9-9.5K. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2001, 01:21 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Again, it depends on the condition. Is it complete? Does it need paint?

I would think in drivable condition, that needed no major repairs, it is a good price.

One year only car, one of the last Corvette Big Blocks with a 4 speed.

But I'm partial.

Terry
Old 11-24-2001, 10:43 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I agree with all the above. If it is an original matching numbers car, is rust free, and not wrecked, then it is well worth the asking price.

tom...

Get notified of new replies

To What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd?

Quick Reply: What can I expect to pay for a 73 Big Block 4spd?