C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment specs to avoid inside tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Default Alignment specs to avoid inside tire wear

I have a 2008 convertible with 2000 miles on it. I traded a 2005 with 18,000 miles on it. My 2005 had to have new tires on the front as they were down to cord on the inside, the rears looked to have another 5,000 miles left on them (I replaced all 4 tires with Firestones anyway as it was not much more to do 4 Firestones than just 2 Goodyears. My 2005 was base suspension). Clearly I don't sling the car through corners hard enough! I would like to get more than 18,000 miles out of my 2008's front tires! What would be an acceptable settings for front end alignment to get more front tire mileage, without sacrificing ALL the handling, knowing that my car is not driven particularly hard.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

You're correct to be concerned about factory alignments. i figure they have 3 minutes to dial in 10 adjustments. Not to confidence inspiring, and proven when I took mine to an independent for an alignment.

The spec ranges are so broad that it can vary from precise to sloppy but still technically be in spec. I wanted mine as close to centered as possible but I drive the car fairly hard so figure my wear will be pretty even. If you're just a cruiser and don't put any premium on handling, then reduce the camber front and rear. Some Zero this out. It will reduce potential cornering ability though.

Top chart is my '08 at 6000 miles with nothing hit...Pretty much as it came from the factory. Note the items in red which are outside even the broad factory specs.

Bottom chart is after. the car feels much better BTW..

Last edited by Modshack; 12-07-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Modshack
You're correct to be concerned about factory alignments. i figure they have 3 minutes to dial in 10 adjustments. Not to confidence inspiring, and proven when I took mine to an independent for an alignment.

The spec ranges are so broad that it can vary from precise to sloppy but still technically be in spec. I wanted mine as close to centered as possible but I drive the car fairly hard so figure my wear will be pretty even. If you're just a cruiser and don't put any premium on handling, then reduce the camber front and rear. Some Zero this out. It will reduce potential cornering ability though.

Top chart is my '08 at 6000 miles with nothing hit...Pretty much as it came from the factory. Note the items in red which are outside even the broad factory specs.

Bottom chart is after. the car feels much better BTW..

Steve,
If you set the alignment to cut down this inside tire wear, how is the tracking and the car's sensitivity to "tramlining" as opposed to the alignment settings from the factory.

Thanks to a fellow Tarheel (not the university, the state!)

Jimmy
Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Steve,
If you set the alignment to cut down this inside tire wear, how is the tracking and the car's sensitivity to "tramlining" as opposed to the alignment settings from the factory.

Thanks to a fellow Tarheel (not the university, the state!)

Jimmy
No Problem! In my experience, tramlining is more a function of incorrect Toe settings (plus road condidtions and tire width)
Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If you want to keep the car for Xcross, then the specs shown are fine. If you want to set the alignment for maximum tire mileage get that camber DOWN. Put the camber on ALL 4 down to -0.1. The caster shown is fine. Set the rear toe to 0 and the front to to -0.01. You will not be able to feel any difference while you drive. If you X-cross, then you will lose a few tenths. If you X-cross, set the camber back to -0.45 up to -1.0 for racing applications.

The stock settings will wear the inside off of the tire.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1795091

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 12-07-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
If you want to keep the car for Xcross, then the specs shown are fine. If you want to set the alignment for maximum tire mileage get that camber DOWN. Put the camber on ALL 4 down to -0.1. The caster shown is fine. Set the rear toe to 0 and the front to to -0.01. You will not be able to feel any difference while you drive. If you X-cross, then you will lose a few tenths. If you X-cross, set the camber back to -0.45 up to -1.0 for racing applications.

The stock settings will wear the inside off of the tire.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1795091

Elmer
Elmer,
Thanks to you and Steve for the info. I am going to research alignment shops here in Charlotte on Monday (unless someone here in the Queen City has a suggestion!). As I said in my earlier post, my 2005 was down to CORD on the inside of the front tires with probably 4 - 5/32nds on the outside (this with 18,000 miles) Both of my C5's performed similar tire munching capability.

Jimmy
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Steve or Elmer or both,
Can you explain to me (clearly alignment knowledge challenged) what each term (camber, caster, toe, thrust and the numbers) mean in terms of how the tire is sitting. I remember old independent rear suspension cars like late 1980's 280ZX's where the top of the rear tire would be noticably canted towards the center of the car. Is that "toe in". Thanks for your help and knowledge on this, I want to be able to communicate properly to the alignment shop what I want done (and accomplished).

Jimmy
Old 12-08-2007, 06:49 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always a good idea to make sure your alignment is set correctly.

That said, the nature of a sports car is that it makes use of negative camber. This means the tires lean "in" at the top. In corners, the outside tires will be pushed out flattening the contact patch (as seen from the front or back.) giving you more cornering ability. If the tires were straight up and down at rest, then in a turn the inside of the tire would lift and reduce you ability to handle around turns.

Negative camber, does have the "negative" of causing more wear on the inside of the tire.

Also keep in mind that the GY tires are soft, sticky performance tires. 18,000mi is actually considered pretty good wear for them.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:52 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Steve or Elmer or both,
Can you explain to me (clearly alignment knowledge challenged) what each term (camber, caster, toe, thrust and the numbers) mean in terms of how the tire is sitting. I remember old independent rear suspension cars like late 1980's 280ZX's where the top of the rear tire would be noticably canted towards the center of the car. Is that "toe in". Thanks for your help and knowledge on this, I want to be able to communicate properly to the alignment shop what I want done (and accomplished).

Jimmy

What you are describing is negative camber.

If you stand with your feet pointing parallel to each other they would represent the tires. If you point your toes towared each other, so your feet are not exactly parallel anymore, that would represent tow-in, turn your toes out a little, and that is toe-out.

Here is a pretty good article, with pics:
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Last edited by SimonStern; 12-08-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Here's a good visual on the various adjustments...

Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by Modshack
Here's a good visual on the various adjustments...

That's absolutely great. It shows the terms and a picture of the tire in relation to the terms. The tire killer is camber. + camber would tilt the tire out at the top and in essence lift the inside bottom edge and wear the tire more on the outside edge. Negative camber pulls the tire in at the top and puts the pressure on the inside of the tire and tends to "lift" the outside edge. Thus our negative camber wears out the inside of the tire. Getting the camber down to a small number is the goal but NOT to a "0". You need a touch of camber thus the -0.1 that I suggest. The negative camber of -0.45 to -1.0 on the Vette makes the foot print of the tire flat while you are doing turns thus giving you all the traction you can get from the tires to take the turns quicker.

Elmer
Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
MYVetteBy25
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Besides camber, what would cause the OUTSIDE of the tires to wear faster than the inside? Toe out or toe in? When I got an alignment recently, the camber was approx -0.6, which is within spec. However, my tires were wearing much faster on the outside. My car is 100% street driven. No autox or HDPE. I don't take it easy in the corners, so that may be it. But I'm still curious whether toe in or out would cause wear on the outsides?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:58 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MYVetteBy25
Besides camber, what would cause the OUTSIDE of the tires to wear faster than the inside? Toe out or toe in? When I got an alignment recently, the camber was approx -0.6, which is within spec. However, my tires were wearing much faster on the outside. My car is 100% street driven. No autox or HDPE. I don't take it easy in the corners, so that may be it. But I'm still curious whether toe in or out would cause wear on the outsides?
Errors in toe alignment will cause the tire to wear faster than errors in camber and castor. Basically, think of it as the tire being drug sideways as it rolls down the road. Depending on the degree of error, a tire can be toast in a few hundred miles or less. The error is further amplified in turns.

BJK
Old 12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by MYVetteBy25
Too much toe in. (negative number)
Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Too much toe in. (negative number)

Yup, that's correct...My post was incorrect (deleted)...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 PM
SkyKing421
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have seen a Cadillac dealer's expensive "Laser Alignment" machine be quite a bit off, due to bad calibration.
Our CTS had an obviously excessive positive camber on the rear, verified with a simple level. The tires were wearing badly on the inside. We had 1" difference between the bottom and top of the rear tires on level ground. The "Laser" machine said that the left rear was at "0" camber. Oh Boy, now what do you do? The manager said he would get it calibrated.

My point is, that sometimes you can't trust these "infallible" machines.

I did my own alignment in the garage. Worked out great. (If you do your own, be sure to roll the car a foot or two, after coming off a jack.)

If you can't double check it yourself, get second reading somewhere else.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
SkyKing421
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Oops!
The above should have read "Our CTS had an obvious NEGATIVE camber....

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment specs to avoid inside tire wear

Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM
autoxnut
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually inside tire wear means the inside of the tire is in contact with the pavement more than the outside of the tire. Since the Vette is a sports car, it comes with some negative camber on the tires (meaning the inside edge is more in contact with the pavement than the outside) for handling reasons. When the car is cornered hard and the body leans, the tire will then be flat on the pavement and give the most cornering power. Therfore you may not be in need of a realignment, you may simply need to spend more time cornering hard to get even wear!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
zero5see6
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
Errors in toe alignment will cause the tire to wear faster than errors in camber and castor.
BJK
Exactly! When I had my 05 aligned, the tech mentioned that toe had more to do with wear than camber. He aligned to factory specs and made sure toe was 0.00. It's been a few thousand miles since the alignment and I have no inside tire wear whatsoever.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much toe in either direction will feather the tire all the way across the tread. You can run you hand in across the tire and back out. You will easily feel it. Similar to feel to the scales on a fish or a snake. The factory specs take into account what the load on the suspension will be down the road. The Vette is very stiff and not going to push the readings more negative in a straight line. Other vehicles need more positive camber to ensure good wear. Later! Frank

Quick Reply: Alignment specs to avoid inside tire wear