C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 logo debacle again

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 01:35 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 427 logo debacle again

All,
I have some holes drilled in my hood that I would like to fill. I filled them with glazing putty, but it didn't get hard enough in my opinion. I pushed the stuff out with a drill bit a day after I applied it and it was still soft. Should I just mix up some fiberglass resin and fill it with that?
Old 11-24-2001, 05:18 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: 427 logo debacle again (Steve Straus)

Just in case anyone cares I ended up taping the holes on the underside of the hood and filling them with epoxy resin. I mixed some extra hardener in. Worked like a charm.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:16 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hole you filled will most likely show when you paint the hood. You need to grind an area around the holes, put a piece of gless matt behind them and fill with some fibreglass strands and resin... NOT Bondo. When that cures sand the area a little low and fill the surface with a two part filler and sand flat, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand until you cannot feel ANY waves or bumps or low spots. If you don't do this, the holes will come back to haunt you.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:29 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: 427 logo debacle again (silvervetteman)

Thanks for the tip, I actually sanded them low then put a thin layer of 3M glazing putty over them and sanded. I really cant tell where the holes are visually or by feeling them.

--
Steve
Old 11-24-2001, 06:51 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any air dry putty will shrink and shrink and shrink and............ Forever. Catalyzed stuff cures as opposed the dries so there is a lot less shrinkage. Notice that I said LESS! there still will be some shrinkage over time. That is why you see bonding lines year later in our old cars. Also the solvents and thinners in the paint will soften the air dry putty somewhat.. Again this won't happen with two part materials. It will be time any effort well spent to fix them now rather than later when they show through the freshly painted hood.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:54 PM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 06:57 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 427 logo debacle again (silvervetteman)

The 3M glazing putty is a two part flowable finishing putty. I used it on my '69 for a ton of small areas that needed attention. It worked great and hasn't shrunk a bit in 2+ years.

Shannon

Get notified of new replies

To 427 logo debacle again

Quick Reply: 427 logo debacle again