C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to Bend fuel line?

Old 11-23-2001, 12:33 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 85 Posts

Default OK to Bend fuel line?

I want to bend the chrome plated copper fuel line near where it taps into the rear of the carb. It comes out of the carb too horizontal, and hits the air cleaner base keeping it from seating properly on the carb. Should I unhook the fuel line from the carb first to keep the stress off the fitting while bending it? If I disconnect it, will fuel flow all over the place? Will it flow from the tube and from the carb? How do you bend this tubing without crimping it? There is some type of white plumber's dope on the existing threads of the fitting. Should I duplicate this when I hook it back up?

Is there any replacement line that is easier to fit or work with? I remember seeing some of you guys with gauges in your blue or red fuel lines.

I think the carb is a Holley 650.

Can you tell I'm a dumbs--t? :confused: Try to keep me from breaking or burning the car. Thanks.

:flag
Old 11-23-2001, 01:23 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: OK to Bend fuel line? (foundvettelifeisgood)

I would unhook it, just to be safe, then bend it. I don't know much about Holley's, but I imagine it's like all of the other carb lines I have seen and the line has a flare on the end of it, which would mean that when you hook it back up it doesn't need any type of dope on the threads. The threads don't do any sealing. When you disconnect it just pile some rags up under the line to absorb any fuel that drips out. And wait until the motor is cooled off to do that. There shouldn't be that much that drips out.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:36 PM
kennycarpenter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OK to Bend fuel line? (foundvettelifeisgood)

I recently did the same thing, if you don't have an inline fuel filter up top or in the carb inlet you should put one in now. I cut my line near the valve cover edge and ran a rubber line on each side of the filter with hose clamps, then the copper line into the carb base. I have a holley 650 spread bore and I needed to add the filter to replace where the qjet had one in it's base. This would help you from having your line crimp if you add the rubber. Maybe you could use braided line on each side? even better. :cool:
Old 11-23-2001, 01:38 PM
kennycarpenter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OK to Bend fuel line? (kennycarpenter)

yeah, only a few ounces came out when you disconnect the line, just no smoking! or hot engine. :cuss

Get notified of new replies

To OK to Bend fuel line?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OK to Bend fuel line?