C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 08:54 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79?

how can it be done. does it require any special parts?
Old 11-22-2001, 09:16 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (Vetteboy)

What type of side pipes were you looking at? There are basically three main options:

A. Hooker Header Side Pipes
B. Factory Style Side Pipes With Covers
C. Dynomax Brand Side Pipes

With any of the above three setups you will have to notch your chrome door trim strips for the pipes to fit. I currently have the Dynomax style pipes on my '76 an like them (especially at the price of $210). I also have a set of Hooker Header side pipes that I will be using with the big block. Can you tell that I like side pipes :)?

With the Dynomax pipes you assemble them yourself and all you have to do is take it to a machine shop and have them bend you a pipe to go from your manifolds to the side pipes (cost me $50). The factory style side pipes are really nice looking but kind of on the pricey side...especially if you go with the metal side pipe covers.

To answer your question, any of the three side pipes will bolt right up without any major modifications. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :cheers:
Old 11-22-2001, 09:33 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (bence13_33)

Bence..You remove the rocker moldings with the factory style pipes. The covers bolt on where the moldings come off. You do have to notch the bottom lip of the front fenders to let the front of the covers around. I will post pictures of my factory style pipes and covers on Sat :D :D :D
Can't wait to hear them :D :D
Old 11-22-2001, 09:44 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (Binnie77)

Binnie:
Sorry, I don't have much of a background with the factory style pipes. I know with the Dynomax Pipes & the Hooker Header Pipes, you have to notch the rocker moldings.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:12 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

Hey vetteboy if you want I can send you a pic of my 79 with the sidepipes that were on the 69 corvette!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2001, 10:17 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (bbryant200)

please do :yesnod:
Old 11-22-2001, 10:19 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

I have headers and stock original 69 pipes with Ecklers fiberglass covers. Since my pipes are 32 years old , all the insides are gone and they are basically straight pipes. I set off every car alarm in the city.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:34 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (73Ken73)

I have an interest in this as well.
Anybody feel like posting pics of their Dynomax pipes? I'd like to see what they look like. Also, what about using stock covers over them? Also, does install require any destruction of the rockers or mouldings?
Thanks!

Larry http://www.larryscars.com/71vette.html
Old 11-22-2001, 11:54 PM
john73bb
Racer

Vetteboy,

I sent you email about a set of the stainless steel "factory" pipes that I would like to get rid of. Includes fiberglass covers (they need to be painted, and have a couple of cracks but are in pretty good shape).

John.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:42 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I was at a swap meet a couple weeks ago in arlington and there was a '79 with side pipes. It looked good but the lady who was the owner told me that you hit everything with those. I'm debating if i'm going to do it to my car once i get it back up and running.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:15 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (theanswriz42)

Here is my 78 with sidepipes but no body on. Do a search on Massvette. He has a 79 with sidepipes on it and his car looks and runs awesome.
Neil in Tenn
Old 11-23-2001, 01:35 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (Nomad78SA)

hey nomad, where did you get your pipes? those are bad azz!
Old 11-23-2001, 01:36 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

I was at a swap meet a couple weeks ago in arlington and there was a '79 with side pipes. It looked good but the lady who was the owner told me that you hit everything with those. I'm debating if i'm going to do it to my car once i get it back up and running.

what do you mean? hit everything with those? what does she do? drive over big rocks? :confused:
Old 11-23-2001, 01:47 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

=====
what do you mean? hit everything with those? what does she do? drive over big rocks?
=====

I was thinking the same. You will actually have more clearance with side pipes than with the conventional exhaust which run under the differential.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79? (Binnie77)

Vetteboy,
I bought them through Jet Hot Coating. No special stuff needed. All the hardware comes with the setup. I go out and fire it up and just drool sometimes. I don't have any mufflers in them at the moment and the rumble of the motor will put chills all over you.
Neil in Tenn
Old 11-23-2001, 11:23 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

what do you mean? hit everything with those? what does she do? drive over big rocks? :confused:
Ohh I don't know, that's just what she told me. I don't have sidepipes on my vette yet so I'm not sure.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:14 AM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Physically, the sidepipes will fit, since you have a C3. However, in their intended form, they were not designed to allow catalytic converters. If you don't have a smog test where you live, then no problem.

Even if you do, anything is possible.
It would be easiest on the factory style sidepipe to improvise and include cats than it would be on the Hooker style. In fact, you could do the standard undercar style dual exhaust with cats and mufflers before the differential, and then have the exhaust pipes bent to exit out the sidepipe cover exits, where the original pipes exited. That way, you get the looks of the sidepipes, plus you can easily incorporate an exhaust crossover for improved torque.

If you rather have the Hooker looks, you could still do this but it would be a lot more difficult. The Hooker sidepipes are 4 inch after the collectors. If you were to have a 4 inch to 2.5 inch reducer hidden inside the sidepipe, and then have the 2.5 inch pipe exit the Hooker sidepipe and go to the center tunnel where the cats would go, you could also include a crossover. Then I would have the 2.5 inch pipe exit out of the cats and route back to the Hooker sidepipes and enter them again, and hide a pair of cherry bomb 3.5" glass pack mufflers at the ends of the Hooker sidepipes and have the exhaust exit in the intended location.

Just a couple of ideas for you guys that want to have the sidepipe look, but still retain clean air legality. Some states still won't let you convert to a true dual exhaust, but some will. Keep in mind that the insert that Hooker sells for their sidepipe is extremely restrictive, and is less than 2" inside.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to put sidepipes on a 79?