C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorten drive shaft

Old 11-22-2001, 06:19 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorten drive shaft

As it seems difficulty to find a shop that can do it over here, I'm thinking of giving it a try myself.

I have a used Spicer tube shaft and access to a large lathe.

Will the end yokes normally extend into the shaft tube? That would make the job much easier.

Appreciate any input on how to do this job.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:57 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Shorten drive shaft (Ingar, Norway)

I have done this a number of times. Yes the yokes press into the tube. It is a nice fit. Cut the tube off with a hawksaw, square the tube on the lathe, turn the yoke on the lathe to clean off the old weld and expose the stub that slides into the tube. Press the yoke in and resetup in the lathe , indicate runout and tap it with a hammer to less then .010, Mig weld it by tacking a few places around the outside then pour a fairly heavy pass all around. If you don't have access to a shop for balancing forget it. The saft is only about 28 inches long and usually isn't too much of a problem. If possible though have it balanced.
Good luck
Old 11-22-2001, 09:05 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

As it seems difficulty to find a shop that can do it over here, I'm thinking of giving it a try myself.

I have a used Spicer tube shaft and access to a large lathe.

Will the end yokes normally extend into the shaft tube? That would make the job much easier.

Appreciate any input on how to do this job.
From what I understand, you are correct about the end yokes extending into the shaft. Using the lathe, remove the weld and slide the end out. Cut the shaft to desired length, re-insert yoke, and weld.
The shop that shortened my drive shaft said that it is very common for the balance to not be affected when only a very short section is removed.

Go for it!
Old 11-25-2001, 01:45 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for all information, I'll go for it now!

Get notified of new replies

To Shorten drive shaft

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shorten drive shaft