C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end going south. Now, which part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 04:04 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end going south. Now, which part?

For those of you that know, what does it sound like when a rear bearing goes bad as opposed to one of the 600 u-joints? I have a sqeeking/sqeeling going on that just started and it sounds like it's coming from the left rear. It kinda sqeeks like a u-joint, with a frequency and intensity that varies with speed. I dont see any metal shavings anywhere and I couldn't get the u-joints to move when I tried to wiggle them. I'd hate to tear down stuff that don't need replacing and the car has 150.000 miles on it so the rear bearings have to have been replaced in the past. So whats dying here? be gentle.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:35 AM
lou
Racer

Default Re: Rear end going south. Now, which part? (BubbaJJ)

Jack up the rear until both wheels are off the ground. Then jack the trailing arm up so the half shafts are up and level enough for the u-joints to function correctly. Then spin the tires and track down noise. Hopefully you can reproduce it. lou
Old 11-22-2001, 07:32 AM
76Pitter
Racer

It will most likely be the U-joints. They are the weakest link back there.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:47 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never in my life heard a U-joint squeal. Usually they just bang and thump when they are about to go. Considering the mileage and the description it sounds like you have a rear wheel bearing going bad. Have fun, you need special tools to replace them.

And trust me, just because it has the miles on it, doesn' mean that the wheel bearings had to have been replaced. These rear bearings are a bitch to replace, so I can't imagine someone doing them when they don't need to.

The easiest way to determine if it's the bearing or the joints is to jack up the rear and take the half shaft off on the side that is making the noise. If you spin the wheel and the noise is still there, it's either the bearing or the brake caliper. Take off the caliper to narrow it down further.

On these disc brakes, the pads are always in contact with the rotor even when the brake isn't applied. If you have a pad that is worn to the rivets, it could be dragging on the rotor too.

You may need to spin the wheel pretty fast in order to hear the noise without any load on the bearing.

Hope that gives you some place to start.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:56 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for a reddish brown oxide coming from the u-joints. If they are squeaking then it may have gone dry (no lube). This is quite often but not always a quick tattle tale. Still means you have to replace them though.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :lol:
Old 11-22-2001, 09:52 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Bubba:
Most likely it is probably just a u-joint. I had one go bad just last summer. When I pulled the u-joint to check it, there wasn't any grease at all in one of the caps and the needle bearings had started to wear the inside down from the lack of lubrication. Before you go ripping and tearing at the rear end, I would make sure that it is not one or more of your u-joints.
Old 11-23-2001, 04:42 AM
76Pitter
Racer

Default Re: Rear end going south. Now, which part? (Steve Straus)

U-joints can make just about any noise under the sun be it bang thump or squeal.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end going south. Now, which part?

Quick Reply: Rear end going south. Now, which part?