Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistakes made when setting up my race car

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM
craig brian johnson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mistakes made when setting up my race car

I'm currently re-assessing my roadracing hobby... winter time gives you a chance to do that... work on the car... strip/clean/tighten... and think of ways to "improve"/ "tweak"/ "re-engineer"/ "make it faster".

These are a list of things that I wouldn't do again, as they may have made me a bit faster, but the "racing experience" suffered.

1. I took out the passenger seat. I used to spend hours of enjoyment at track days taking friends/students for rides. Now there's a coil-of-snakes header and flowmaster where the passenger once sat.

2. I'd have left in the defroster. What a pain in the butt to have your window fog up... and it's always on the right side where you can't reach with a towel when belted in your harness... and it seems that you always have to turn right.

3. I should never have replaced the windshield with lexan. It flexes, glares, you can't wipe it or it scratches. The mounts usually get buggered up when you re-install.

4. I wouldn't have re-inveneted my brakes. Yep this was the perverbial dual-master-cyldr-6piston-caliper-nightmare. The car never stopped right after that.

5. I wouldn't have made the car so fast.
It's too fast to be reliable, and breaking is frustrating; not fun..
I find myself not doing practice sessions to "save the engine"...
and when you only get like 2 laps/gallon... and have to feed the 14:1 engine expensive race gas, I find myself hesitating even more.

6. I wouldn't have built the car faster than my skill level. With the power parts availible for a SBC you can easily get yourself out of your comfort zone. I can't tell you the last time I felt comfortable driving this car... and certainly it's not easy to take time off from racing, and then expect to jump right back into the drivers seat... and try to drive fast when you're a bit rusty. I'm thinking that this car's going to spank me hard someday.

So, what are all of your thoughts/confessions of the fun old days of racing?

Last edited by craig brian johnson; 11-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

#6 is why I kept my C4 for the track, and not moved up to a Z06.
The LT4 is sufficent for any track.

#1-5 is why I keep the car mostly stock, except the roll bar and seats.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

A friend of mine did this. He won't admit it to me or himself, but he regrets building the car.

It is more car than he is able to afford to drive quite frankly....

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I sympathize with #4.

I introduce a new one:

#7 Don't stray from the common mods... you find yourself in a relatively lonely world. hahaha
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Well, my C5 Z06 is my street car and daily driver.
My C2 Z06 is my racecar
Works for me (Your results may differ)
Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

all good points. I did mine over years and so far I am happy even though it got more expensive and involved than I first expected. I haven't sprung for a cage and that is my biggest downfall.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Made too many changes during the off season and totally screwed the car up. Make one change at a time and test it!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Made too many changes during the off season and totally screwed the car up. Make one change at a time and test it!

Hey Fat Billy Bob!, Hey Fat Billy Bob!

Cal Club T1 racing is calling you....

Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post!

While I autox exclusively I'll add some money saving tips that I learned while enjoying the thrill of competition.

When I started I drove a C5 coupe and was convinced I was slow because of the car. I just had to buy a Z06 to go faster. Fortunately a friend invited me to drive his nationaly prepped Z06 in a Divisional event in DC and I promptly finished DFL. I decided it wasn't the car and I spent the next year and a half learning to drive in the coupe. The Z06 I had wanted to buy went from $52k to $34 and when I ended up buying it I saved $18,000!!

The next best money saving experience I got was by buying a freakin' game. I got the x-box 360 with the microsoft racing wheel and that has cured me from wanting anything with horsepower! It's so realistic that by driving the 800hp monsters I've learned that I can't drive them! They are so tail happy that I'll gladly leave them in the garage for a meek 400hp corvette. Trust me, buy this set-up with Fornza2 and you'll think twice before adding hp to your car. Unless of course you have a really long straight to compete on!! This game has saved me tons of money!!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

I started with a monster when a damn Miata is beyond my capabilities. Too much car....not enough seat time.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Nihilation
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedDBere
The next best money saving experience I got was by buying a freakin' game. I got the x-box 360 with the microsoft racing wheel and that has cured me from wanting anything with horsepower! It's so realistic that by driving the 800hp monsters I've learned that I can't drive them! They are so tail happy that I'll gladly leave them in the garage for a meek 400hp corvette. Trust me, buy this set-up with Fornza2 and you'll think twice before adding hp to your car. Unless of course you have a really long straight to compete on!! This game has saved me tons of money!!
Do you play online much? That game's the only reason I bought an xbox360. Add me next time- Nihilati0n
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Hazman
Racer

I just sold my racecar and have run two events so far in a showroom stock C5Z06. It is so much more fun being able to come to the track run every session in a good quick reliable car, be able to take students out for a ride and not spend all my time between sessions wrenching on the car. Going to the track is fun again!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 10 4

Craig:

Great thread, and some really good replies. So many times people get involved with a hobby that is fun and then there is a natural progression to be 'better'. Then what started out as as 'fun' turns into something that is not.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
scottmartin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hazman
I just sold my racecar and have run two events so far in a showroom stock C5Z06. It is so much more fun being able to come to the track run every session in a good quick reliable car, be able to take students out for a ride and not spend all my time between sessions wrenching on the car. Going to the track is fun again!!!
Gone to the darkside i see!! Scott
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Great thread...Thanks for posting.

My 1992 is so much fun with the stock HP. When its time to do a motor it won't be much more (HP) than stock.

What issues are you having with the brakes?

Steven
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My car is changing, again. More HP soon. Still need a cage.
I hope I don't regret it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

With mine I decided that since I was not going to be winning any money racing it, I wasn't going to stick tons of money into it. I really enjoy the car and the hobby. I wish I had more time, I love track driving! Going faster is always fun but I don't want to get into more and more maintence.

Have fun out there!

Get notified of new replies

To Mistakes made when setting up my race car

Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default fun

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
With mine I decided that since I was not going to be winning any money racing it, I wasn't going to stick tons of money into it. I really enjoy the car and the hobby. I wish I had more time, I love track driving! Going faster is always fun but I don't want to get into more and more maintence.

Have fun out there!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Hey Fat Billy Bob!, Hey Fat Billy Bob!

Cal Club T1 racing is calling you....

I'm thinking about it but honestly...I'm not sure I have enough skill to get out of your guy's way. I think I'll do a super school however. I'm researching dates. I contacted one CalClub person and they said no school in Feb/mar 08 and their schedule was not set. Anyway I'm still checking.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

This is an excellent topic. I once sold a showroom stock (remember that class?) Camaro Iroc-Z to a new racer and after his first regional he told me he was going to get the engine balanced and blueprinted so the car would be faster. I advised him that he should do that right after he found another 5 seconds in the lap times so that he could match me and reach about 95% of the car's capabilities. He didn't want to hear that and spent $5K having the work done , which was a lot of money at the time. He was actually slower afterward and wrecked the car beyond repair on lap 2 of a regional race. You should always ask a fast friend for driving tips before you blow a lot of money on mods. Going really fast is not always a good time....

The most fun I have ever had was in our little Honda Civic racer with the 115hp Vtec. You could drive into corners with much faster cars and out corner them because the drivers were going so fast down the straights that they over braked.. we were always top of our class in that little car and never frightened

Last edited by Tintin; 11-29-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Mistakes made when setting up my race car