C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home made headers, first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 10:18 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Home made headers, first impressions

As some of you may know I made a set of custom side exhaust headers for the '69. See this topic http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=185676

They have 1 3/4"dia, 34" long primaries. The primaries are equal length +- 1 inch.
Collectors are 3"

They look like a basket of snakes, I'm working on pictures....

Good things
No Leaks:D
First thing I did was adjust the idle mixture, with the previous headers I could get at best 9" of vacuum, with these headers, I'm up to 12" :cool: Also with the old headers I couldn't seem to change the idle vacuum much with the screws, but with these headers it is very resopnsive.

Bad things
It apears that they are so efficient at extracting exhaust fumes from the clyinders it actually pulls some unburnt gases out also, so I can smell raw fuel when idleing Phew! Adjusting the idle mixture doesn't help either. Any suggestions ( lars Buddy? )

Sound? They sound GOOD, I think they sound better than the old ones, but I can't really do a side by side comparo.

Are they faster? Jury is still out on that one, I'll need to wait till I can get some track time...Next spring :cry
Old 11-21-2001, 10:36 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Home made headers, first impressions (427V8)

427V8. What are you using for mufflers now and what did you have before? Thanks, JCL :cool: :cool: :chevy
Old 11-21-2001, 10:41 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to see the pictures. The gas smell is normal at idle if there is some overlap between your exhaust and intake valve. I assume that your 427 small block must have a radical cam :D
Old 11-22-2001, 09:53 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you running a Holley on your 427 small block? You shouldn't smell fuel if it is set up right. Holley and big cams have a problem with idle mixture. They need help.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:15 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Home made headers, first impressions (norvalwilhelm)

JCL
I currently running the '69 style factory mufflers, but there is a flange so I can replace them easiy ( or swap to turnouts for the strip ) :D And yes I'm seriously thinking about your spiral mufflers since the stock ones are like 1.5" id! :eek:

Norval
I'm running a Demon 850, yes I know it's too large. Do Demons have the same idle mixture problems?
Old 11-22-2001, 01:01 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Demons have screw in idle jets. With a lumpy cam I would still drill the 4 throttle plates with a .100 hole to start if it's a DP. If not just drill the primaries. Also I would put a .015 wire in the idle circuit passageways. This is acceptable holley fix. You need to get your throttles closed so you are actually idling on the idle circuit and not the transfer slots. The idle screw should be 1 1/2 turns out. Anything else and the carb is off. I know they give you these screws to adjust but if they are in almost closed they are not really adjusted correctly. You can get these wild cams to idle fairly leanly so they don't load the plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Home made headers, first impressions

Quick Reply: Home made headers, first impressions