C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 08:11 PM
HARDNOZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front End Suspension.

Zip sells a front end kit that includes bushings, tie rod ends, etc.. for only $159 ($40 extra for polys). I'm thinking of ordering a set. What do you guys think of the product? Anyone used these? Also, should I tackle this job myself (novice) or get someone to do it for me. How tough a job is this?

Thanks,
Old 11-21-2001, 09:05 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Front End Suspension. (HARDNOZ)

well the hardest thing is compressing the front springs...(removal is easier obviously....)

buying a good spring compressor (internal type) or borrowing it from a local auto parts store should do the job...

a-arm bushings, take the a-arms to a machine shop and theyll install em and drill out your ball joints and drill bigger holes for the new ones for ~20-30 bucks for all 4 arms...

everything else on the frontend is easy.

im thinking you could get the frontend kit for 100 dollars on the back of corvettetrader......

Old 11-21-2001, 09:44 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Zip sells a front end kit that includes bushings, tie rod ends, etc.. for only $159 ($40 extra for polys). I'm thinking of ordering a set. What do you guys think of the product? Anyone used these? Also, should I tackle this job myself (novice) or get someone to do it for me. How tough a job is this?

Thanks,
I installed a complete front end rebuild kit from Zip this past July. I had never a front end rebuild before but it was easy. It took a couple of days to get it done with the engine out of the car. Use rubber or poly either one will be great compared to your worn out original pieces.

Enjoy! :seeya
Old 11-21-2001, 09:47 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Front End Suspension. (daily_driver)

i bought the rebuild with poly from zip about 5 yrs ago,about $170 then,x-mas special.i had no problems with their stuff.i did have a machine shop take out the old bushings and press in the new.they did not enlarge the holes however.i rented an internal spring compressor from autozone and installed the 460# springs from vette brakes &products.this is not that hard of a project and gives you the chance to clean and paint the a-arms and other components.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:35 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: Front End Suspension. (Gary79)

I bought the Zip front end kit from the forum Resto Store when it was on sale for about $130.00 last spring. It was the rubber kit. I have not had a problem. No squeek issues with the rubber bushings.

Dwayne
Old 11-21-2001, 11:48 PM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Edwin! ! !...Where the heck have you been hiding mate?
What would you like me to tell you about front suspensions?......I've already done mine with poly bushes and would recommend them to use as opposed to rubber for the DIY person.
At the moment I'm into pulling down the entire rear end....got grease under my nails as I type.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:09 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Thanks,
I ordered this very kit, with the Poly bushings. First off, order through the Corvette Forum by clicking the "Restoration Store" tab above and you get 5% off.

It was as easy as any other suspension work. You must have the right tools and know what you are doing.

The bushings need to be pressed in and out, and that should be done by a machine shop or suspension shop unless you have experience.

The kit is the best on the market for it's price. The poly bushings are made by Energy Suspension, one of the best companies out there.

I am very happy with the improvement in my car after having done this "upgrade". I recommend you change out the springs and shocks at the same time. Plan on 2-3 days if you want to clean all the parts and re-paint them. Do one side at a time.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:18 AM
HARDNOZ
Instructor

Default Re: Front End Suspension. (Brutus)

Hey there mate!

Been away and busy with the Cobra. Remember? Almost done. Been thinking about Daisy's front suspension but I did not want to be without a ride. Now that Katharina (the Cobra) is about ready, I can now start to plan the front suspension project. Bob, I'll need all the help you can give me. Not having done a front end before, I feel I need a "cook book". Tell me more about it will you?

Old 11-22-2001, 12:22 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Front End Suspension. (BSeery)

Having to press the bushes in and out isn't necessary if you're going to be replacing the old ones with poly....the new poly ones just slip right in and it's quite easy to remove the rubber ones without a press. Just get a 1" wood hole saw and cut them out. It chews through them very well and you're just left with an empty shell that's simple to remove after that.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:35 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Front End Suspension. (Gary79)

i bought the rebuild with poly from zip about 5 yrs ago,about $170 then,x-mas special.i had no problems with their stuff.i did have a machine shop take out the old bushings and press in the new.they did not enlarge the holes however.i rented an internal spring compressor from autozone and installed the 460# springs from vette brakes &products.this is not that hard of a project and gives you the chance to clean and paint the a-arms and other components.
gary, you misread my post...

i am reffering to drilling out riveted ball joints and enlarging the holes to accept the heavy duty ball joint kits...

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Suspension.

Quick Reply: Front End Suspension.