C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any electrical tape...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 07:06 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is there any electrical tape...

that is not a piece of poopie? Where is the quality? The stuff you buy now at Home Depot or Lowes is like plastic strips with a light amount of glue on the back. Where is that old strong, stretchy, stick-it-down-and-that's-it type of tape? Is there a better place to get better electrical tape?
Old 11-21-2001, 07:17 PM
cruisin1993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (Larry82)

there are different types of electrical tape at home depot... (or at least the home depot near me...) try buying several levels of their electrical tape... i do a LOT of electrical work... i ran all my kitchen lights with 3 way switches, etc... i redid 3 baths and i put in a new box... i actually like the tape my dad thinks is crappy... i use (i think) the "Frost" something something tape... if you find the frost stuff isnt as good, you can try the 3M tape... i didnt like it that much, but its decent enough for light electrical work... and so you know, if my electrical tape isnt good, i get a nice shock from a 110V circuit with at least 20 amps running thru it... (i dont like using low amp breakers...) hope that helped :cheers: , danny
Old 11-21-2001, 07:32 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (cruisin1993)

Thanks, I'll take a look Friday at the nearby Home Depot - 3M likely to be good, rather than some foreign import made with blind, impoverished, one-handed child labor in some far away country. I think there is some sort of tape that actually will shrink once wrapped around wires. Saw it at a performance shop. Need to see if they still have it also.
Old 11-21-2001, 07:36 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (Larry82)

I have noticed there is a great variance in the quality of electrical tape too, if you find a good one, tell us.

Cruisin, the low amp breakers are there for a reason. Most household wiring is only rated at 15 amps. Just FYI :D
Old 11-21-2001, 08:31 PM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (MikeC)

If your looking for something that will shrink up then go to your electrical store or Lowes and get heat shrink tubing, it comes in different diameters and once you put it over your wires or connectors you heat it with a propane torch and it shrinks up and seals water tight
Old 11-21-2001, 08:42 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (Ed T)

i've used 3M and tape made by plymouth tape company,no relationship to chrysler,both are good quality.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:00 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (Gary79)

Scotch 33+ made by 3M and stretch it while putting it on. This stuff is the best. There is also another variety called Scotch 70 that is a gray color and really stretchy. It is not sticky but when stretched it will stick to itself and will stay until you want to remove it. Then all you have to do is cut it and it will turn loose and come right off.
We use 70 first and then 33 on motors at the plant where I work. I work in electrical maintenance at a nuke and use this stuff. But I do not have any idea what it cost.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:11 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (Eddie 96)

Thats the ticket. The scotch line of tape (3M) is the better. There is nothing more agrivating than cheap electrical tape. Or electrical tape that is old or has seen to much heat, and the adhesive is mostly on the back side. :mad
3M can be found at any electrical supply house.

[Modified by 71,454,4spd, 9:12 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 11:36 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there any electrical tape... (Eddie 96)

The stretch and stick stuff is what we used when I was in the Navy. We called it homo tape because it only stuck to itself. After tailhook, we called it alternative lifestyle tape to be politically correct. It works like a champ!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any electrical tape...

Quick Reply: Is there any electrical tape...