C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLOOR CARPETS

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 01:05 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FLOOR CARPETS

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some input on a couple issues that pertain to the interior. The first is the selection of new carpeting for the old girl. The two companies I am concidering are Al Knoch and The Last Detail. TLD was considerably cheaper although I am most concerned about fit and quality of fabric. Since there isn't much on her that came from the factory I don't care if it looks original only good.

A second question is since the seats are going to be pulled why not put some insulation in to cut down exhaust and engine heat. Any products that work for you and how did you install them.

Many thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Ken
Albuquerque
Old 11-21-2001, 01:47 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: FLOOR CARPETS (ENCHANTMENT)

Al Knoch manufactures his own products while TLD, Zip, Ecklers and most of the other Corvette parts & accessory vendors usually resell Auto Custom Carpet (ACC) manufactured carpets. I have the ACC (direct from them) and was pleased with the quality and fit of the package except the rear compartment piece. The piece in the rear where is fits up against the back panel required alot of trimming and jockeying to get a decent fit. I called ACC and they were very responsive and offered to pickup the old and deliver a new without charge but I decided it fit OK and left it.

On the insulation/sound deadener, I lined the entire interior compartment with foil backed insulation. I purchased a couple rolls (~$50) of it at Pep Boys and custom cut it to fit every nook and cranny of the car and glued it to the floor with 3M spray adhesive. I also sealed each seam with metal duct tape used for A/C & heat ducts so there is no seepage. Along with the new ACC carpet w/attached felt, it made a huge difference (reduction) in interior temperature & sound.

Addt'l pics: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mds...sulation2s.gif http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mds...sulation3s.gif http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mds...sulation4s.gif

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 12:55 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 02:05 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: FLOOR CARPETS (mdsmith)

Check out my photopoint site.....There are a ton of carpet installation pics....I bought mercedes benz carpet in a sheet and cut it to fit......I looked at other vettes with carpet from Al knoch and TLD....and they were not up to Snuff on thickness and quality....Sure it took a bit longer..but the custom fit and quality were more than worth it in my opinion...But if quality is not a big factor then buy from the vendors..By the way my carpet only cost me 60 bucks from the upholstery shop!! That plus the heat shild and some 3m carpet glue and u are in business :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 11-21-2001, 11:19 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: FLOOR CARPETS (Alwyn678)

You got to use the foil back insulation, it makes all the difference in heat and sound after your project is complete. I used ACC carpet and was happy. I did have to trim everything but just thought that was how it was. Finish project looks great.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:25 AM
keytech
Racer

Default Re: FLOOR CARPETS (Alwyn678)

How much thicker is that Mercedes carpet than standard carpet? How did you deal with the curves of the car versus the molded carpet made for Vettes?
Old 11-22-2001, 01:36 AM
SharkGills
Instructor

Default Re: FLOOR CARPETS (ENCHANTMENT)

Hello enchantment, welcome to the forum. I just wanted to point out the search feature in the upper right of the screen, it is very useful for all kinds of information. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To FLOOR CARPETS

Quick Reply: FLOOR CARPETS