C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Loud side pipes and an idea....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Loud side pipes and an idea....

Went for a two hour ride yesterday and the side pipe noise has got to go. But I love the look. I decided to give my brainstorm idea a try. Couldn't hurt at this juncture, right? I have the 2.5" Sweet Thunders. I cut the back section of outer pipe (about 18") off leaving just the inner baffle showing. Then I drilled more 3/8 holes in the baffle and bent them down so exhaust would flow into the outer shell. I then wrapped the baffle with hi-temp (wood stove heat shield) glass fibers. I've used this before and it does not burn out. I sliced some 3" tubing in half, wrapped and then welded the system. Got one done yesterday, will finish the other side today. Heck of a lot of work just to keep the side pipes but no one has ever accused me of being normal, more like abbey-normal..........I'll snap a before and after pic today and post it here. Hope it works.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i've often thought that maybe replacing the entire chambered section with a couple of glasspacks (one or two on each side) might work too; if the OD wasn't too large...
Bill
Old 11-24-2007, 10:59 AM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i've got glass packs in my hooker sidepipes and they sound loud enough to enjoy the deep sound but not loud enough that you can't hear the radio or talk. thats with the top down. little louder with top up. someday i'd like to see how it sounds with the glass pack out!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a cross pipe added to my sidepipes and it helped a little. I sure would be interested in getting them a little more quiet. If you can, post some pics of what you did and maybe a video with sound of how they sound. I know there are a lot of guys interested in making our sidepipe cars a little quieter.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

I don't fully understand what you are doing, but I think it's cool when people get creative ideas. I wanted custom side pipes with no seams (like Hookers) or heat shield (like stock side pipes), so we put our muffler into a 4" pipe and welded it in on the backside so the entire front remained smooth after coating. It looks good, but it is a little loud (I don't have a radio because it probably wouldn't be practical hearing it).

One idea I had during my design phase, was to mount side pipes on the car, but to run an underbody exhaust system that 90'd after the muffler and went into the side pipe exit. That way you would have the side pipe look, the undercar exhaust sound, yet the side pipes would still look like they were working. I got laughed at by the forum when I suggested it though! :-)
Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Razzle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard guys putting short glasspacks between the exhaust manifold and the sidepipes. It get's pretty hot that close to the engine, so periodic replacement's necessary. A small price to pay if it works. Personally, I never cared for the sound (noise) of Vette sidepipes. Nothing worse than just hearing 4 cylinders blubbering out the drivers window. It just sounds like the motor's not hitting on all 8
Originally Posted by MasterDave
Went for a two hour ride yesterday and the side pipe noise has got to go. But I love the look. I decided to give my brainstorm idea a try. Couldn't hurt at this juncture, right? I have the 2.5" Sweet Thunders. I cut the back section of outer pipe (about 18") off leaving just the inner baffle showing. Then I drilled more 3/8 holes in the baffle and bent them down so exhaust would flow into the outer shell. I then wrapped the baffle with hi-temp (wood stove heat shield) glass fibers. I've used this before and it does not burn out. I sliced some 3" tubing in half, wrapped and then welded the system. Got one done yesterday, will finish the other side today. Heck of a lot of work just to keep the side pipes but no one has ever accused me of being normal, more like abbey-normal..........I'll snap a before and after pic today and post it here. Hope it works.

Last edited by Razzle; 11-24-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the original 40 year old sidepipes on my '67. Took them off and put on a set of Allens SS sidepipes. About a year later, I had had it with the noise and put the original pipes back on, that is the way they should sound...mellow. Sold the Allens sidepipes at Carlisle, took about 15 minutes. PT
Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Wilkinshc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I would try these:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...+115&y=13&x=29

I figured I would running the vortex cones plus the sts baffles. With the two, I hope it would be quiet enough to take on a long trip.

I am using the 4" hooker side pipes. I love the looks but I would like it quiet enough to enjoy a conversation with the passenger.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by OverBudget
One idea I had during my design phase, was to mount side pipes on the car, but to run an underbody exhaust system that 90'd after the muffler and went into the side pipe exit. That way you would have the side pipe look, the undercar exhaust sound, yet the side pipes would still look like they were working. I got laughed at by the forum when I suggested it though! :-)
actually, i like the idea...
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-24-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Razzle
I've heard guys putting short glasspacks between the exhaust manifold and the sidepipes. It get's pretty hot that close to the engine, so periodic replacement's necessary. A small price to pay if it works. Personally, I never cared for the sound (noise) of Vette sidepipes. Nothing worse than just hearing 4 cylinders blubbering out the drivers window. It just sounds like the motor's not hitting on all 8
a crossover pipe would mellow the 'blubbering', it definitely changes the sound on an under-car exhaust...
Bill
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

kensmith,

Hint: The larger the diameter of your crosspipe (also called an H-pipe), the greater the sound reduction.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:02 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PTighe
I had the original 40 year old sidepipes on my '67. Took them off and put on a set of Allens SS sidepipes. About a year later, I had had it with the noise and put the original pipes back on, that is the way they should sound...mellow. Sold the Allens sidepipes at Carlisle, took about 15 minutes. PT
The original sidepipes sound the best IMO!
Gotta love that creative juice and sharing information
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Dave9542
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW. A million years ago I had sidepipes removed but left cover, heat shield and bolted a cheater chrome end pipe onto the rear bracket of the shield so it looked like pipes were still functional. Sent exhaust through new set of pipes/glasspack out back under the valance lower edge. Couldn't be seen. Wonderful. I could have a conversation and hear radio and did not lose hearing in left ear. But now that its no longer driven, the pipes are functional again.
Different strokes.
Dave
Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wilkinshc

I figured I would running the vortex cones plus the sts baffles. With the two, I hope it would be quiet enough to take on a long trip.

I am using the 4" hooker side pipes. I love the looks but I would like it quiet enough to enjoy a conversation with the passenger.
Post how you like them when you get them. I saw them some time ago but never heard from anyone who has installed them.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
kensmith,

Hint: The larger the diameter of your crosspipe (also called an H-pipe), the greater the sound reduction.
I used same size pipe as the down tubes from the headers.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a 2" pipe for my crossover. It quieted down my big block quite a bit. My side pipes are Sweet Thunder 2 1/4". Even though it idles & cruises relatively quiet, when you go WOT it is plenty loud.
Roy
Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OverBudget
Dave,

that is how the exhaust runs on a AAR Cuda.........

Last edited by Donny Brass; 11-24-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud side pipes and an idea....

Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by wmf62

i've often thought that maybe replacing the entire chambered section with a couple of glasspacks (one or two on each side) might work too; if the OD wasn't too large...
Bill
Pfft, been there, done it. You can indeed stuff the small bullet glas-paks under and it will sound very nice. Unfortunately the back pressure was so great that my engine would not rev past 4000 rpm. Back to the dwg board...
Old 11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by 64tux
i've got glass packs in my hooker sidepipes and they sound loud enough to enjoy the deep sound but not loud enough that you can't hear the radio or talk. thats with the top down. little louder with top up. someday i'd like to see how it sounds with the glass pack out!!!!!!
Unfortunately I don't want my wife, grandkids, etc to toast a calf when getting in or out.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:53 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Wilkinshc

Done it, made zero difference. None.

Quick Reply: Loud side pipes and an idea....