C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling body work experts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 11:15 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Calling body work experts.

I have started the body prep for my '71 and have read and purchased lots of material on how to sand and fix various problems with fiberglass. Here is my issue and most books don't seem to cover repairs this small. I have a hole about twice the size of a BB on the rear quarter panel upper part. How do I fix this? Is it neccessary to use fiberglass mat here or just resin or some other type of filler?
Old 11-21-2001, 11:54 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Calling body work experts. (wadew10)

I'm by no means an expert but here's my method: Filling holes such as trim bolt holes could be done with filler, but stand the chance of showing up later when the filler shrinks. If it is a clean round hole, I use a countersink to give it a taper, then tightly role a strip of fg mat, saturate it with resin and stick it through the hole. The back side will swell out to lock it from coming out, and the outside will conform to the taper. When it dries, just sand off the part that sticks out.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 11-21-2001, 12:44 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bevel the edges of the hole back at a bit of an angle (like 45 degrees) to give the filler some area to bond to. Use long strand fiberglass filler (USC Long 'n Strong) to fill the hole and bring the level flush with the rest of the panel. Sand the fiberglass filler flush while its still a bit soft otherwise its a bear to sand when it gets rock hard. Use body filler over top if you have any slight depressions or air bubbles in the repair and sand flush again. The long strand 'glass won't shrink or swell and its strong and waterproof. You should only use body "filler" in thin layers.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:50 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Can you reach the underside of the hole? I would lay up a patch (mat) on the underside. One course will work for the underside. I would then dish grind the hole from the top and lay up a three course mat patch. Finish the surface and prep for paint.
:)
Old 11-21-2001, 11:13 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Calling body work experts. (Easy Mike)

The Evercoat Plasticworks, Corvette panel Adhesive works good for your Bondo material. Sands every good. I think if you bevel your hole you can use this material for the complete fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling body work experts.

Quick Reply: Calling body work experts.