C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 Original AIM - Scanned & Available for Download

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1957 Original AIM - Scanned & Available for Download

I recently purchased an original 1956 - 1957 AIM on ebay. The original AIM has much sharper images, words and numbers than the reproductions currently being sold. I scanned in the original AIM, and posted two different versions of the download on my website:

1. Computer version. The Computer Version features the original AIM as it appears - including foldout pages. This version is not suitable for printing on 8 x 11.5 paper. This is a high quality scan showing all of the detail on the original - and you can use the ZOOM feature in adobe acrobat to blow up the size of each page on your computer screen. You can also use the SEARCH feature in adobe acrobat to search for words and part numbers. The search engine is about 95% accurate. The computer version is a 170MB file. You can also download each individual section of the AIM (word and number search function works here too). Each separate file is approximately 5MB in size.

2. Printer Version. The Print Version features all 8.5 x 11 inch pages at 200dpi - suitable for printing. The full Printer Version is 300MB (broken into 3 groupings). Folded pages in the original were scanned into two pages. No word search capability in these files. You can also download each individual section of the AIM - each separate file is approximately 10MB in size.

Russ
Old 11-24-2007, 08:11 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Russ
Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Excellent!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Russ:
That sounds like a lot of work. Did you have to type in all the text information in order to be able to make the search function work? I would like to download it but I am still on dial up and to retrieve a 175 MEG file would probably take me a few weeks.

A few years ago I thought about doing something similar with a '62 AIM except I was going to make it an HTML document so that you could just click on an index item (i.e. bumpers) and the proper page would appear.

I just wonder if there are any copyright infringement issues in reproducing these documents? I have two AIM's. The one from Mid America has a copyright statement while the one from Michealis Products does not. The Mid America copy has a statement reading "Reprinted courtesy General Motors Division" and Mid America Design logos on each page. The Michealis copy has Chevrolet Bowtie and the General Motors Corporation logos on the individual pages. Does the original GM document have any copyright notices?

Charles
Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM
YesA59
Pro

Charles-

There were no copyright notices on my originial AIM, which is why I felt comfortable scanning and putting it on the internet. GM apparently did not copyright materials intended for internal use in the 1950s from what I have seen. I suspect GM started to copyright more stuff as the years passed.

I'm not surprised that Mid-America and some other asked GM first - they probably have to worry about getting cross-wise with GM. And they wanted to sell the reproduction AIM's at a profit.

Here is what I did to digitize the AIM's:

1. Scan each page on an 8.5 x 11 basis (a foldout required 2 pages)

2. Use Photoshop to reattach the foldouts (making one wide page) and brighten up the pages.

3. Use an OCR program (Readiris) to convert the words and numbers into readable text (very labor intensive - I had to highlight almost all the words and numbers to get the program to work right)

4. Use Adobe Acrobat Professional to put everything together.

This took a bit more time that I originally estimated. But, on the brighter side, I can now re-assemble a 57 Corvette blindfolded.

Russ
Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by YesA59

This took a bit more time that I originally estimated. But, on the brighter side, I can now re-assemble a 57 Corvette blindfolded.

Russ
And given your recent acquisition, this may prove to be a handy skill to have.

:-)

Jim
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Thanks!!!

Russ:
Thank you so much for sharing these. Anyone with a 56-57 knows that the commonly available AIM "sucks". Your files are so clear ... I want to thank you for all 56-57 owners for this great piece of un-selfish work!!!
John
Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

But-------but-------but, mine is already put together. So, do I need to take it apart and put it back together by the book?????
Old 11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
john neas
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a 56 AIM? (as it was at the end of 56 production)
Regards
Old 11-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Russ:
That sounds like a lot of work. Did you have to type in all the text information in order to be able to make the search function work? I would like to download it but I am still on dial up and to retrieve a 175 MEG file would probably take me a few weeks.

A few years ago I thought about doing something similar with a '62 AIM except I was going to make it an HTML document so that you could just click on an index item (i.e. bumpers) and the proper page would appear.

I just wonder if there are any copyright infringement issues in reproducing these documents? I have two AIM's. The one from Mid America has a copyright statement while the one from Michealis Products does not. The Mid America copy has a statement reading "Reprinted courtesy General Motors Division" and Mid America Design logos on each page. The Michealis copy has Chevrolet Bowtie and the General Motors Corporation logos on the individual pages. Does the original GM document have any copyright notices?

Charles
Borrow a laptop and look for a wireless hot spot and download. Or the next time you travel take a laptop as most have a wireless of hard connection. Also could go to the library and download it and copy to a CD.

Tyler
Old 11-24-2007, 08:52 PM
YesA59
Pro

Originally Posted by john neas
Does anyone have a 56 AIM? (as it was at the end of 56 production)
Regards
I suspect there are no AIMs left reflecting late 56 cars.

The instructions to the AIM's stated:

"This manual has been designed to expedite furnishing the latest information to the user. It is imperative, therefore, that additions and revisions be inserted in their proper places and that superseded sheets be removed and destroyed."

I think the 56-57 AIM was first issued in late 1955. Chevrolet would then update the AIM as changes were made. Per the instructions, the revised sheets would be inserted into the AIM, and the outdated sheets would be tossed. That's what happened in my AIM. I bet that's what happened in all or almost all of the other AIMs as well.

Russ
Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Russ that is AWESOME!!! I don't have a 57 but I wish that someone would do this for the 66. Kudos for taking the time to complete this project. Dave
Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 PM
billyhi
Navigator

The link seems dead. Is there somewhere else we can find it? Maybe someone could email it to me?

Thanks,
Billy
Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM
decarmine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billyhi
The link seems dead. Is there somewhere else we can find it? Maybe someone could email it to me?

Thanks,
Billy
Link is dead because a lot of stuff may have happened in the intervening SEVEN years...
Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Thanks,
Billy
Russ's web page is still functional. Click the link below and scroll down once the page loads:

http://www.earlycorvettes.com/
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 PM
billyhi
Navigator

Perfect! Thank you. Despite the intervening years, it looks like the AIM hasn't changed much.

I love Russ' site. Apparently he and I are virtually neighbors, so I'll have to reach out to him directly.

Thanks again,
Billy
Old 09-02-2014, 07:21 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Perfect! Thank you. Despite the intervening years, it looks like the AIM hasn't changed much.

I love Russ' site. Apparently he and I are virtually neighbors, so I'll have to reach out to him directly.

Thanks again,
Billy
You are welcome.

Russ is a really good guy with lots of enthusiasm for the early Vettes. His '53 is a real time capsule yet he drives it everywhere. Recently, for example, he drove it from one side of the state to the other (up here in the Sierra) just to show it at our annual car show.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 Original AIM - Scanned & Available for Download

Quick Reply: 1957 Original AIM - Scanned & Available for Download