C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock fell out

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 03:39 PM
phat82
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door lock fell out

Well let me start by saying that I love my car, but I sure would like to get locked in a room with the engineer who designed our C3 doors. That aside, could someone with experience reattaching the clip and lock acutator rod please inform me as to the proper procedure.

P.S. I'm about 2 sec. from taking a blow torch to the $*@& thing!

Appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

Frustrated in Norman.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:28 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: door lock fell out (phat82)

Sorry I can't be of much help as I've not attempted that myself. My Haynes manual seems to indicate that the door handle should be removed?
From the looks of that area I think you need munchkin sized hands.
Good luck with it anyway.
:cheers:

Go OU!
Old 11-20-2001, 07:45 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

If you are talking about the spring clip that holds the lock cylinder to the door, it is just a piece of spring metal that is wedged under the two small lips of the lock cylinder. I have found that applying a little lubrication to the inside of the fiberglass will allow the spring clip to slide under the lock cylinder. Secondly, the small clip that holds the rod to the lock mechanism sometimes breaks. My buddy's 73 had this happen and he just bought some new clips. The rod goes through the hole at the top of the clip and then the clip snaps onto the rod, securing it. Do you have an Assembly Instruction Manual? This may show you how all of this stuff goes together.
Gary
Old 11-20-2001, 07:47 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Take the door panel off and buy a set of those really long needle nose type visegrips. Worked like a charm for me.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:52 PM
adam
Drifting

Heyt Phat82;

It's not a big deal; Mine has come loose 3 times. I've been inside the door numerous times.

The lock has a slot that the rod slips into. The lock itself (as noted above) is held in place by
a spring clip. You push the lock in and use a needle nose pliers to hold the clip. You need to
get the clip in there next to the lock so that you can slide it around the lock.
If you have big hands you will have problems.

Now, I don't know how to keep it there - my 81 has the factory alarm and they put a
switch on the clip to check that the lock stays in the car. But infortunately this clip
works its way off...

Do get the AIM to see the pictures... They're on ebay all the time, try for $20.
Pacific corvette also sells them for $15 plus shipping.

Old 11-21-2001, 08:32 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that the long skinny needle nose pliers are essential for working inside the cramped door.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:56 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: door lock fell out (virtue4u)

I agree that the long skinny needle nose pliers are essential for working inside the cramped door.
:yesnod:

With the long needle nose you can access the lock area with the window rolled down.

In order to stop this from happening again you might want to place some epoxy on the back of the door where the edge of spring clip sits to stop it from backing off the lock again.
Old 11-21-2001, 07:08 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just reattached it by performing some creative arm and finger yoga and using my skinny hands and fingers.

Get notified of new replies

To door lock fell out

Quick Reply: door lock fell out