C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to find an Exhaust system part. Could use help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 02:37 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Trying to find an Exhaust system part. Could use help.

I'm getting ready to order my winter project parts (or get them for Christmas). I'm ordering a set of dynomax ceramic coated headers, dead soft aluminum collector gaskets, Stage 8 header bolts, the adapter for the A/C compressor, and a good set of header gaskets. That takes care of the front end. I wanted to change my mufflers and would like to go with a polished stainless set from Dynomax, Magnaflow, or Summit. The problem I'm having is that I can't locate the exhaust pipe (tailpipe ?) that goes on the end of the muffler. If you buy a set from Mid America you get the pipe that connects to the exhaust system and the pipe that goes after the muffler but the cost is twice the price of the other aftermarket suppliers. Has anyone found a place that carries these separately? I already have 2.5 inch stainless pipes on the 74 and I think these additions would make a nice difference. Could use any help you can give because I've already checked The Last Detail, Mid America, Ecklers, Zip, The Paddock, and Corvette America. All they seem to carry are Tips .

One other thought. On the 74s the tailpipe is curved down from the muffler. Can a straight pipe be used if the muffler is lowered a little like they are on the C4s?
Old 11-20-2001, 04:45 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trying to find an Exhaust system part. Could use help. (vettfixr)

Are you talking about the turndowns? :confused:
look at the rear of my sig pic, they were made for my Flowmasters. I might be able to help you locate some.

[Modified by 82dukman, 3:55 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 04:47 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Wouldn't an exhaust shop stock turndowns?
-terry
Old 11-20-2001, 05:24 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Trying to find an Exhaust system part. Could use help. (82dukman)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about, turndowns. It seems like a part that all the suppliers should carry but none do. I'm sure I can go to a muffler shop and have them make something up but I thought the suppliers would carry some nice polished stainless or chrome turn downs. If get a pair of aftermarket replacement mufflers in 2.5 inch offset inlet/outlet size all I need are the turndowns to put them on my car. This isn't very difficult and I thought that the suppliers would have something like this. I've seen header turndowns but they are all 3 inch or larger.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:45 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

OK a little backround. I put Flowmaster's on my CE w/ 2.5 exit pipe. I could have gone to a local shop, but if Jersey is like PA, I don't trust some of the "talent" working there. I needed the pieces from the rear Y pipe to the muffler and the turndowns. I callen Allen's Stainless Exhaust and tiold what I was doing, with the pipe diameter of the muffler in hand. I asked them for the Y pipe to muffler part and the turndowns. They suggested a local shop, but I figured since they do it all of the time, the know the angles anyway. I ordered the 4 pieces from Allen's and it came to $90 for all pieces and the UPS to the house. Had it in three days, and I got the stainless turndowns. Polished them up ith Mothers and a buffing wheel before installation, and they look prety close to chrome.
Give them a call, it can't hurt. The number is 219-722-7272, they are in Indiana. They have a website but last I heard, it wasn't working.
Hope this helps and sorry it was so long :seeya
Forgot to add nice people and the pieces fit like a charm!!

[Modified by 82dukman, 4:53 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 09:15 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Thanks 82dukman. EdT send me an e-mail suggesting Allens too. I hadn't thought of them but now that I know they can do it and the approximate price I'll be calling them. Your price was really good considering the quality of their products. Most of the exhaust "tips" that are sold are half the size of the turndowns and run about $40 a pair so I think you got a good deal. I'll be printing this out and on the phone soon. :seeya
Old 11-20-2001, 09:41 PM
nunus79
Drifting

I bought one of those Dynomax "Cat Back" exhaust packages from Summit for approx $150 a couple of years ago. It came with Super Turbos, turndowns, back elbow pipes, clamps & 2.25 to 2.5" pipe adapters. The pipes were aluminized and can be made to look decent. Maybe the mufflers you're interested in getting comes in a similar type package.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:34 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Vettefixr(by the way :cool: name) I can get a picture with the cam and show you up close if you want. Let me kow :seeya
Old 11-21-2001, 08:41 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Thanks again guys. I'll check with Summit when I call them but I think I'd like to go with the stainless just because of looks. 82dukman, thanks also but your posted picture shows that they are what I'm looking for. I think I'm going to end up calling Allen and just order everything I need. I may even get the exhaust to muffler pipes because they are the only pieces in my system that aren't stainless. I only want to do this job once so I want to get it right. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to find an Exhaust system part. Could use help.

Quick Reply: Trying to find an Exhaust system part. Could use help.