C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:22 AM
TransAm525
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling problems

Over the past week, I decided to remove the Crossfire intake manifold on my 82 and have it ported/polished, bead blasted, hot tanked, and have the EGR channel removed. Since I reinstalled the manifold, the engine does not warm up. Today I drove 10 miles, plus allowed the normal warm-up time, and the temp only reached about 150 with the oil temp at 120, and it was 75 outside. I suspect with the massive increase in air flow from the tons of metal removed from the ports of the manifold, and the lack of the upper EGR channel, my airflow is removing he heat at a rapid rate (plus I have Jet Hot Coated Hooker Super Comps and ram air, which also cools the engine compartment). Has anyone tried removing the mechanical fan and running just the auxilary fan only? If the auxilary fan will suffice, I would like to pick up a couple horses by removing the clutch fan.

PS. The thermostat is a new Robershaw 180 balanced thermostat (wax pill style) and is only 1 week old, fan clutch is a new AC Delco (3 months old), and the water pump is 1 year old. The problem started when the intake manifold was reinstalled.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:22 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Cooling problems (TransAm525)

I would check to make sure that it isn't your thermostat. My '76 had the same problem, it took forever to get up to temperature. It sounds like your thermostat is opening too quick. If your thermostat opens before your engine gets up to temperature, it's going to take a while for your engine to heat up. This is also hard on the engine. Check out the thermostat and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Cooling problems