C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:13 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant???

I'm researching components for my impending rear suspension rebuild and need some feedback. I'm looking at the VB&P adjustable struts or the Smart Strut system that is comprised of the same struts, new mount bracket & stock style camber cam/bolts.

My question is why do you need the camber cams (w/Smart Strut) when the struts that come with it are adjustable? VB&P even says in their literature that the adjustable struts alone eliminate the cams!!! What gives? The ability to adjust camber at both locations seems redundant and just adds a greater potential for misalignment to occur. Seems to me the adjustable struts alone will do the job (as VB&P contradicts itself).

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 10:15 AM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 11:30 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant??? (mdsmith)

I thought the same thing a couple of years ago when I installed mine. I just installed the cam bolts, torqued them down with the alignment lines lined up equally, and then set the camber with the adjustable rods/heimjoint spherical rod ends - as you'd expect. I guess you could just substitute the cam bolts with regular high strength/shear bolts.

[Modified by Monty, 10:27 AM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 11:31 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

The camber bolts play a different role on the smart strut bracket: the slots are vertical, instead of horizontal. That allows you to adjust the geometry and lower the roll center, which reduces the camber change (I'm just quoting stuff that I don't really understand completely... :) ).

"Smart Struts" consists actually of a "smart bracket" and normal adjustable strut rods.

-Pedro
Old 11-20-2001, 11:48 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last month I put a set of VBP adj. struts in mine. I've also used these struts in other C3's I've had as I think the stock struts are pretty lame.

I too didn't see what the big deal was with the "smart struts", especially on a street driven 'Vette that I don't push all that hard. It's kinda hard to push a stock L48 anyway :D

The adjustable struts are much stronger and have less bushing distortion with polyurethane and hold the alignment much longer, not to mention making it alot easier to align. The one thing that VBP doesn't tell you in their literature is that you have to weld up the stock cam bolt locator tabs along their outside edges to provide extra support needed for the new struts. With this car I knew that going in and ordered a new strut rod bracket before installation. I had this bracket welded prior to tearing the rear end apart so I could keep the original bracket (and struts) for later and to have the parts ready for installation while I was already under the car. I didn't want to go through the hassle of taking the rear apart and then having to leave to go get the bracket welded and then come back to install it since I don't have a welding machine in the garage.

I really like these beefier adjustable struts and think they were well worth the money. :cheers:
Old 11-20-2001, 12:21 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The principle idea behind the Smart Struts is to LOWER the struts at the differential making them parallel to the half shafts. This will keep the tires nearly vertical as they move up and down in the wheel wells. Stock struts cause the wheels to travel in an arc as they go up and down.

I accomplished the same thing by fashioning an aluminum spacer block between the differential and the strut mounting bracket to obtain an absolute parallel between strut and half shaft. However, the Smart Strut allows exhaust pipes to fit between the strut ends. My spacer block requires the pipes to run below them losing substantial ground clearance. Since I run side pipes, it doesn't matter.

Chuck
Old 11-20-2001, 02:43 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant??? (Chuck Harmon)

Thanks for all the responses!! :) So do you guys think the extra $100 for the Smart Strut system is worth it or should I go with just the struts and use the $100 elsewhere?

Mark
Old 11-20-2001, 02:45 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant??? (Chuck Harmon)

Ditto to Chuck.
See the Vette Improvement Program article in the archives on suspension. In it, John Greenwood discusses this concept and the effect that lowering the strut rods has on camber change with wheel travel. It DOES make a difference.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:13 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant??? (flynhi)

flynhi...thanks for the ref to article....very interesting.

Mark
Old 11-20-2001, 03:16 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

mdsmith - Get the Smart Struts. It's not that much more.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:30 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If anyone is interested i have two extra Heim joint adjustable camber bar set-ups for sale, BOTH include the camber bracket pre welded. One has new rods and heim joints the other has used (but nice) rods and heim joints. Keep in mind the VB heim joints are cheapies (heims w/grease fitting are WEAK) AND the VB or Guldstrand deal does NOT include the camber bar. New set $200+UPS/ Used set $150+UPS. Each set includes NEW hardware. e-mail me direct!! redvetracr@aol.com

PS: VB gets $200 and Guldstrand gets $275

Get notified of new replies

To Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant???

Quick Reply: Smart Strut versus Adjustable Struts...redundant???