C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 10:58 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate

This has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with my need for four seasons but more a result of marital issues that are causing me to consider moving back to Ohio where I grew up; leaving all of this warm/mild weather. Lots of family back there (four brothers/families and both parents). My job now allows me to telecommute 100% of the time and that means I work from home and job interaction is via phone, email, chat, fax and occassional (yearly) team meetings. Boss says I can live anywhere in the 48 contiguous US as long as within reasonable distance of major metro area (Toledo, Dayton, Columbus, OH). That's why I'm considering OH. Probably would not do anything 'quickly' (Spring 2002 likely) but high probability of it occuring if we cannot resolve issues.

I've printed the 'cold storage' post just in case I have to make a quick exit and take my toys with me...
Old 11-20-2001, 11:07 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (TedH)

THIS IS JUST ME, BUT,

IM NOT SURE YOU WILL LIKE IT. SNOW AND COLD WEATHER GETS REALLY OLD, REALLY QUICK. NOT TO MENTION THE ROAD SALT WHICH MAKES ME CRINGE ANYTIME I DRIVE ANYTHING ON ROADS THAT ARE JUST SPLASHING SALYTWATER EVERYWHERE. YOU CANT KEEP ANYTHING CLEAN DURING THE WINTER.

I LIKE GETTING IN JUST A TSHIRT AND JEANS AND GO OUTSIDE

I LIVE IN NC, AND WE GET THE 4 SEASONS, BUT IN THE SE PORTION OF THE STATE, WE MIGHT GET SNOW ONCE, AND IT MIGHT BE AN INCH DEEP THAT LASTS FOR 2 DAYS. IVE BEEN AT THE BEACH AT 70 DEGREES ON XMAS IN NC. AND THEY DONT USE ROAD SALT UNLESS A FREAK STORM COMES THRU WITH A LOT OF SNOW (WHICH IS CONSIDERED ANYTHING OVER 2 INCHES, WHICH IS RARE)

NOT TO MENTION HEATING BILLS, CLOTHES, ETC FOR COLD CLIMATES. AND STAYING INDOORS MORE, WHICH I HATE
Old 11-20-2001, 11:30 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you're looking for feedback or opinions but anyway.....

After leaving the military five years ago, I moved from Jacksonville, Florida to St. Louis. My current job was our sole reason for living here, otherwise we would have stayed in the South. After moving here, my net income increased slightly but our cost of living nearly doubled. WHen and if I retire, we're heading back South.

One thing I can say is that we have at least two disctinct seasons here (winter and summer). My wife hates the winter and I don't care much for it myself. I like to see a blanket of snow about once a year. After that, I wish it would just go away. The summers in Florida weren't all that bad compared to St. Louis - they may have just lasted a little longer.

Telecommuting is a great luxury that I wish I had. In reality, I could but I work for a large, semi-conservative company (Boeing) that doesn't go for such cool things. :rolleyes:

You mentioned that you would be moving close to family and I think that counts for a lot. I have aunt's, uncles and cousins that live nearby and it is a nice bonus although I only see them about 3-4 times a year.

Just my $.02 - YMMV.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:20 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having lived in the north all my life I can tell you it's not anywhere near as bad as the southern guys will tell you. We get all kinds of weather including beautiful Fall days, warm Summer nights, and occasionally a little snow. With the advent of global warming our winters as of late have been very mild. Yeaterday it was 65 degrees and sunny. Not bad for late November.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:30 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you grew up there you should know how the winter is done. :) The weather in Ohio isn't bad. Move up here to SD, now that's frozen tundra. :eek: Of course, there isn't much for major metropolitan areas here, so I guess you can't do that. It's a shame too. A good -15 F blizzard is good for a guy. :cheers:
Old 11-20-2001, 01:31 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

How could you think about leaving Tampa (espicially for OHIO). Don't do it. Too darn cold. You'll be snowed in when I'm out driving the vette and you'll be wishing you were :)
Old 11-20-2001, 01:41 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (sdotson)

Living in Southern Indiana we get hot humid summers and 0 degree winters but when a beautiful 65-75 degree day comes we really like it.
Move to the southern tip of Ohio.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:44 PM
Matter
Team Owner

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (Tim H)

It's hard to beat driving your vette in December. ;)
Old 11-20-2001, 01:48 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (1980LT1)

The only good reason to live in the north is that it gives you time to work on your vette and spend huge amounts of money on upgrades. You can't drive it you might as well work on it.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:55 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (Red73)

You are clinically insane for even considering moving.

Larry http://www.larryscars.com/71vette.html
Old 11-20-2001, 02:37 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (lbell101)

FROZEN TUNDRA ..... ...um.......I live in the state that is home to that title !

just think....3 months to play, polish, add extra's on your vette and not feel guilty or mad that you should be driving it ! :cuss

then.....when it Finally warms up.....you get to APPRECIATE the warm weather...

as I said before :D <---------- this isn't me smiling, my teeth are CHATTERING !
Old 11-20-2001, 02:53 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (midget)

I'd expect to have to park my vettes about 3-4 months out of the year (Dec-Mar) 'back home' in northwest Ohio. Sure could use the bonding/help on the vettes with my three brothers and Dad living within 15 minutes. I was born in Bryan, OH and grew up just southeast of Findlay, OH. A little desolate looking in Winter but plenty of indoor/outdoor sports and recreation.

I'd definitely be getting a C1500 :chevy for driving year-round with the vettes and cycle dedicated to warmer weather... With the cost of living difference, I can get 2-5 acres for under $150K and have plenty of dough to 'invest' in the C3 :cheers: No more association fees property taxes would be a sixth of what the are here. My income would move with me... :D
Old 11-20-2001, 02:58 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (ylose)

Coming from a native, I am biased but Fla. is the place to be. I've lived in a few other states (when I was in the military) and I never considered not coming back home after I got out.

You already know the weather is unbeatable, it arguably has the BEST sports teams pro & college (GO CANES) in the nation, great beaches, attractions, things to do, etc.

The overidding factor is family. Fortunately for me, when I ended my tour of duty, all my family was in Fla. so it was a no brainer. I believe one has to do what will make them most happy. If being close (geographically) to your family is more important than the ease of living, weather & surroundings that FLA provides, I say go for it.

Good Luck....Mark
Old 11-20-2001, 03:00 PM
dash8
Instructor

there is a lot to be said about being next to family.. I work twelve to fourteen hours a day five to six days a week. so it means a lot.. ,and i work out in the frozen tundra. so for the most part you don't have to .if it were me with your options ?? i'd go for it!!!!! :yesnod: course i don't like the heat in the south either.. :lol: :eek:
Old 11-20-2001, 03:01 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ted - I'm with you on lowering your living expenses. I live in San Diego & pay 1500.00 per month for an apartment with no garage. I was planning on a move, but things are kind of iffy right now with the job market.
I'd like to get a house & some land under 200K so I can use my VA benifits, but not in California. (probably the north east - wife's familly lives there)
:cheers:

[Modified by 71coupe, 11:08 AM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 03:03 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TedH: I hear ya.

Speaking as one who made the reverse move (Connecticut to Tampa), my wife and I are pretty sorry we did it. Yes, the weather is mild 365 day/year, but the draw backs are probably more than we can handle.

1) The job market BLOWS here. Yeah, I know, it blows everywhere now but the problem is it blowed LAST year too. My wife is stuck in a job that is killing her, and I'm SERIOUSLY underemployed and she's ready to kill me.

2) There is NO help in finding a job here.The internet sites are a joke, and the employment agencies and head hunters are more interested in getting tans and playing golf with their friends than actually working to help you find a job. Also, because no major businesses have their corporate HQ's here, the HR departments you are dealing with are ALL in another state, and they all hide behind 1-800 joblines and internet sites that they never even check. So, it's almost impossible to get hold of a real person that makes hiring decisions.

3) If you are not a salesman, own your own business or in landscaping, forget it. They are looking for high pressure salsemen around here like mad. They don't care if you have any knowledge of what you're selling, they just want to know if you can sell ice cubes to eskimos. This is the land of cold call prospecting and landscaping. And EVERYBODY and their brother is a salesman or landscaper, so the competition for the old peoples money is pretty stiff.

4) The cost of living is not that much different. If you own your own house, yes, but if you rent, you mine as well live up north. My wife and I are taking home $25,000/year less than up north. Our rent is $200/month less than what we were paying up north. Where's the savings? We originally intended to move down here and buy a house, but we have been unable to find jobs that we want to stay in, and we are now not committed to the area, so why buy?

5) If you are an established salesman in this area, with an established book of business, you can make big bucks, but the pay scale for non sales people is chicken feed. If you are a salesman just starting out, GOOD LUCK. People get SO many cold calls down here that they ALL have caller ID, blocking, etc. to combat the 4-5 cold calls they get a fday, and even if you were to get hold of them, they are already VERY negative towards you because they're sick of answering the phone only to get pitched.

Obviously, I'm frustrated and ticked-off, but at least up north I felt like I had a fighting chance. Here, both my wife and I feel like we are never going to get ahead because of the attitudes down here.

OK, I'm through venting :mad :mad :mad :mad

[Modified by 79MakoL82, 1:11 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 06:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Ted, Call me a Crazy Canuck but I like the white stuff and the change of seasons. I can't imagine a winter without snow. And I do not miss the Corvette from November to April (heresy?). It is like the old Heinz Ketchup commercial: Anticipation. When April comes, the Corvette comes out of storage and "What a Feeling" (Irene Cara) goes into the tape slot.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate

Old 11-20-2001, 09:39 PM
keytech
Racer

Considering moving North? Have you completely lost your mind? :lol:

You move there and getting back is gonna be REAL tough after all the moving effort. I lived in Ohio and have family there too. But hey, just remember one thing: No matter where you live, everyone you love is at most a plane ride away.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:53 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (paul79)

im with paul i like the change in seasons i dont mind the snow,and i never park the vette for the winter i drive it year round.Id say go for it! :cheers: good luck with whatever your decision is.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:57 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate (keytech)

Ted h your talking frozen tundra Eh! take a look at my signature when I post . Today's not a good day to look as we are having a mild fall. The NW winds come from our area. three days it 's in your face In Ohio. If I had a choice I'd be down south. Only good thing about our winter is you can completly rebuild a car during the winter and not be in a hurry, you know you got till April :) Would your Boss let you Move to Canada Your Salary x1.62 Our phones work.

Quick Reply: Considering Move to Frozen Tundra from Southern Climate