C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Need pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 01:12 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help! Need pics

Got to looking at the wiring harness on the firewall just below the vaccuum booster on my '79, and it looks all nasty / melted / not good. Can someone please take a picture of theirs and post it? I want to see if mine is any different.

I'm worried that I am running a fire hazard risk... don't wanna have a melted pile of fiberglass sitting on a garage floor someday.

I'm starting to get discouraged with this car. It's leaking brake fluid at the MC, tranny fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and a few drips of motor oil to top it all off. Not to mention rotten bushings all the way around, rip in drivers seat back, surface rust underneath.

I was hoping that I could paint it up and just fix the odds and ends as I go, but now it looks as if the only way to make it reliable is to do a frame off resto.

Funny thing... it runs and drives very very well. The only things that don't function are the clock and the power antenna. Even the 8 track still plays!
Old 11-20-2001, 02:04 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: Help! Need pics (Simon Alexander)

I'm not exactly sure what you need, but I took some pics of the wiring on the firewall. Point me in the right direction and I'll try again.

[Modified by The_Dude, 12:16 AM 11/20/2001]

[Modified by The_Dude, 12:18 AM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 07:13 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a pic handy but will tell you that when I pulled mine apart, it was FILTHY. It looked like one big ball of grease and dirt. I spent a great deal of time going over the whole wiring harness with 3m Cleaner.

However, melted it not good. You can get a repladement harness for the engine compartment from any vette supplier. Sounds like that would be the way to go.

I found the same thing when I bought my vette and it was low mileage. If not maintained, things dry rot and things leak. This is normal unfortunately. Sounds like a couple of weekend projects and you can still enjoy the car. You'll spend a couple of bucks and scrape a few knuckles, but you'll feel better after. Take it one job at a time.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Stoge
Race Director

The_Dude:

First of all, thanks for the pictures.

The harness I am talking about is to the right and below the booster in this picture:

78 Vette SA: You are describing almost to a "T" how mine looks.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:35 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

I'll try and get you a better picture tonight. I wouldn't get to discouraged. These are old cars and will require some work. Parts may be expensive, but most seem to be readily available. Your car looks to be well worth keeping. I found a '79 L82 4sp that looks to be in very similiar condition for $5995. I'm thinking of buyng it just so I can build a hotrod out of it, and return the '80 to stock.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:50 PM
1976C3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup my harness there looked all melted on my vette when I got it. I freeked out and thought why didnt I see that! Anyways I unhooked it and figured well I need to clean it all good so I can see wassup b4 I go replacing stuff.

Lemme, tell ya underneath the waxy dirty mess that looked dangerous was a perfectly good harness. Yup a tooth brush and degreaser and air hose cleaned that harness up back to new looking.

Give it a cleaning you might be surprised. Also do not get discouraged with the vette, with any old car parts will need replacing, just do things over time with the most pressing item being done 1st. It ll works out in the end, but a old vette is going to cost you in the long run more than a ford fiesta will, but look at what you got, its a trade off.
:seeya
Old 11-20-2001, 07:50 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I'm starting to get discouraged with this car. It's leaking brake fluid at the MC, tranny fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and a few drips of motor oil to top it all off. Not to mention rotten bushings all the way around, rip in drivers seat back, surface rust underneath.

I was hoping that I could paint it up and just fix the odds and ends as I go, but now it looks as if the only way to make it reliable is to do a frame off resto.

Funny thing... it runs and drives very very well. The only things that don't function are the clock and the power antenna. Even the 8 track still plays!
All of these things are fixable without doing a frame off. If your car runs, drives, and does all of the things that Corvettes are supposed to do, why not just make a "Do List" and fix those things? You have a 22 year old car and you should expect that it will need some TLC. Fixing leaks is just one of those things we do. There are more people out there with cars that started out as frame offs and are now a pile of parts. Owners lost interest, ran out of money, time or spousal patience.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. To add to that, if it is broke fix it.
Gary
Old 11-20-2001, 08:33 PM
Stoge
Race Director

I'll try to pick up my dad's digicam and take a picture of the harness I am talking about... I feel a bit better knowing a few of you had the same problem.

My problem is mainly lack of patience. Its tough when you finally get to be a proud owner, but you can't drive it.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:06 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Simon, I'm really sorry, but I spaced out :sleep: and didn't take the pics last night (I'm still recovering from the 70s), and I'm leaving tonight for California. When I was taking pictures the other night, it looked my wires in that area were pretty gooked up with some kind of black gunk that could make them look to be melted. I think you're probably ok. I'll take a picture when I get back on Monday.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:52 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help! Need pics (The_Dude)

In many cases this black gunk is a sealant that is very similar to melted tar. It is poured on to seal the various openings in the firewall. It is also poured into the windshield wiper area to seal up various openings. My 72 has this stuff on the wiring harness and it does look messy.
Gary
Old 11-25-2001, 11:01 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

The_Dude:

The harness I am talking about is to the right and below the booster
I think I have the right pic this time. It looks like I've got the same black crap on my wires, so I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Old 11-27-2001, 02:41 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Default Re: Help! Need pics (The_Dude)

Thanks, The_Dude. I feel quite a bit better now... mine is a bit worse than yours but its probably much dirtier than yours is too.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:44 AM
VetteNut72
Pro

I not sure of this, but there maybe a special dielectric grease that is needed to protect the contacts from dirt, moisture and oxidation.

Anyone else know if this is needed and if so, what product do you use?

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Need pics

Quick Reply: Help! Need pics