C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonding Material?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 01:02 AM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonding Material?

I'm getting ready to repair the splash panel in back of the rear wheel well.

First, it doesn't look like fiberglass, more of a plastic, perhaps fiber reinforced plastic? This piece separated from the fender. It just appears to be glued to the fender with a bonding material that looks the same as used on all the seams. Anyone know what this bonding material is and where it can be had?

Second, don't back up and smash an exhaust clamp into a piece of broken concrete, twisting the Y pipe like a pretzel and shoving the muffler into the fender and breaking that piece I'm asking questions about!! Not to mention scraping a brand spanking new spring! :smash:

Old 11-20-2001, 01:43 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Bonding Material? (Chris81)

Second, don't back up and smash an exhaust clamp into a piece of broken concrete, twisting the Y pipe like a pretzel and shoving the muffler into the fender and breaking that piece I'm asking questions about!! Not to mention scraping a brand spanking new spring! :smash:
Doh! I'll keep that in mind!
Old 11-20-2001, 03:40 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.evercoat.com

I think that's the link anyway. Evercoat makes a couple of different bonding adhesives that are very good. I would suggest you use the epoxy bonding adhesive. It's a great product, has 1:1 mixing ratio, and works well on different materials, other than bonding fiberglass to fiberglass. Ecklers bonding adhesive is good too, but is kind of made for fiberglass to fiberglass bonding. It is cheaper than the Evercoat though, because the of the fact that it's polyester based, and Evercoat is epoxy.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:43 AM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Bonding Material? (Dalannex)

Tnx! Evercoat looks like the ticket. :seeya
Old 11-20-2001, 01:34 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

After 1970, you're looking at sheet molded compound (SMC) back there. You will need repair materials and panel adhesive compatible with SMC.
:)
Old 11-20-2001, 05:52 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

There is a product you can buy at Home Depot or any marine supply store that will do what you want. It is called 3M-5200. It comes in a caulking tube and cost around $10. I have used it many times on boats, cars, and house construction, and have yet to find anything it will not bond to, and adhere to permanently. It was specially formulated for marine use and works well with all kinds of fiberglass and plastics. Clean the contact areas good before you apply it, and put some pressure on it, or clamp it if you can. Give it two days to dry in warm weather, and 3 or 4 days ito dry in colder weather. Don't get any on your tires -you'll never get out of the driveway! Regards, '74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection" , class of '71
Old 11-20-2001, 07:40 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Bonding Material? (Shutdown1)

also a product called fusor it bonds extremely well its a 2 part tube in one container .any autobody parts store will have it.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:08 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Bonding Material? (pats406nitrovette)

Awwww........what do you know, Pat? Regards

Get notified of new replies

To Bonding Material?

Quick Reply: Bonding Material?