C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory position on ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:56 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Accessory position on ignition switch

When you turn the key backwards to the accessory location should it stay locked in that position, or do you physically have to hold the key back? My accessories work (windows, radio etc...) it just doesn't stay clicked in that position. I had the column rebuilt in Dec '99. Never tried accessory before so don't know if this is a problem, a new problem or normal. :eek: '70 Tilt/Tele column. Thanks, ~Juliet
Old 11-20-2001, 12:00 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Accessory position on ignition switch (Juliet)

That's a new problem to me. It should stay in accessory position...you should have that checked in case there's something loose that might later keep your ignition from starting the car. On my car it stays in position, and I can even remove my key (if i slip it just a tad toward locked). Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:10 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Ditto with Rockn-roll .
I never tried to remove the key. Something new to try.
1970 T&T Column.
Barry
Old 11-20-2001, 12:29 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The detents are in the switch which is mounted on top of the column down under the dash. The column has to be dropped in order to access and replace the switch. You can look up my paper on dropping the column and adjusting the ignition switch at http://www.corvettefaq.com. Look under Suspension and Steering.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:40 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my tilt-tele column it stays in that position and the key won't come out.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:30 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine won't go past lock and I can remove the key in any position. I'll get into that a little later.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:30 AM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 12:44 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Basic terminology 101: The ignition lock cylinder is the thing that your ignition key sticks into and basically locks the column. The ignition switch is located down under the dash, mounted on top of the column. It's a b#tch to get to for service, but a thief has an equally hard time getting at it to hot wire your car.

If you have an ignition switch problem you will need either a T&T switch or a standard (non-adjustable) column switch. I can't find the GM part numbers right now but Zip Products lists both:
T&T Ignition Switch 1969-82 ES-303 $22.00
Std Column Ignition Switch 1969-79 ES-302 $15.00
Instructions on replacing and adjusting the ignition switch - http://www.corvettefaq.com. - Suspension and Steering - Adjust Dimmer and Ignition Switch

If you have a lock cylinder problem - i.e. your key pulls out in any position. You need to clean the cylinder, have a locksmith rebuild it, or just plain replace it. Again, I am sure your local GM dealer has them but I don't have the part numbers right now. Also Zip Products (and I am sure others) have them:

Lock - Ignition Only 1969 -77 (either std or T&T) (Spring wedge holds it in the column) LK-315 $15.00
Lock - Ignition Only 1978 - 82 (either column) (Retained by a screw in the steering column) LK-314 $19.00

For help in replacing the lock cylinder: http://www.corvettefaq.com - Suspension and Steering
Standard Column Disassembly Paper; Column Blow Up; and Two Pics
T&T Column Disassembly Paper; Column Blow Up; and Three Pics

I'll post the GM part numbers if and when I get them.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:47 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THanks everyone. For now this has to go a bit lower on my priority list. I was just trying to use my laptop w/ the cigarette adaptor and noticed the key wouldn't stay in Acc. Talk about a technology dichotomy. :jester Jim - thanks for the clarification parts info. I've saved the thread for future use. :) ~Juliet :seeya
Old 11-20-2001, 09:49 PM
keytech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my acc switch in my 71. Youhave to drop the steering column to get to it. It sits on top of the column and has two screws holding it on. The key switch controls rods that go down to the switch on the column. The holes for the screws that hold the switch are slots so it has some adjustment. If it was pushed to far toward the front of the car it will keep the key from going all the way back, just a little could keep it from "latching" on and staying in Accessory position. To get mine right, while in that very comfortable upsidedown hand twisted to reach everything position so common to working on C3's, I turned and held the key all the way back to the accessory position. While it was there I slid the ignition switch as far to the front of the car as I could...this was the maximum position forward and still have the Accessory work. I then gave it just a little slack and tightened the screw. When your column was installed they may have not taken a lot of care in getting that right. Actually, in their defense it is easy to miss as you are generally concerned about ignition at the time. Well if I wasn't wanting to listen to the radio while I worked i'd have missed it too as I had to get back under and re-adjust as I described. Hope that helps!
Old 11-21-2001, 02:34 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Accessory position on ignition switch (Rockn-Roll)

That's a new problem to me. It should stay in accessory position...you should have that checked in case there's something loose that might later keep your ignition from starting the car. On my car it stays in position, and I can even remove my key (if i slip it just a tad toward locked). Hope this helps.
Ditto here. Mine stays in acc. position. In 1970, the key unlocked the cylinder in the forward (clockwise) direction and could then be removed. The tabs on the cylinder allow you to start the car or turn it off while running without the key in the ignition. You don't have to put it back in to lock the cylinder.

Julie, the owners manual indicates that the accessory position can be engaged by pushing in on the key and turning counter-clockwise. Did you push the key toward the column as you turned? Just a thought...

Get notified of new replies

To Accessory position on ignition switch

Quick Reply: Accessory position on ignition switch