C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3???

Old 11-19-2001, 11:18 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3???

Any of you guys running the ATI supercharger on your C3? How hard would it be to install one of these in place of the air compressor on a C3? Anyone with experience in this area, or know where websites might be that document the installation?
Old 11-20-2001, 01:08 AM
rainman69
Drifting

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (81vette)

It would require a custom bracket and the custom plumbing to hook it to the carb. Let me go scan some of the material to show you how their "standard" brackets place everything. :smash:

Ok, so the scanner is down...I'll get it on the web when I can. :yesnod:

[Modified by rainman69, 10:15 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 03:21 AM
xrated
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (rainman69)

I guess the ATI s/c is a centrifugal. I think it could definately be mounted instead of the air compressor. Custom plumbing is no major biggy. But where do you put the carby? it would prolly go b4 the blower id say but would have to be mounted flat. Maybe it would be easier to drill some injectors into the manifold and run an efi setup. That would negate the use of a carb and allow better tuning of a blown engine. Im thinking Victor Jr where the intake runners are easy to get to. Make some injector rails. Use a budget efi set up. Wont have to be a Motec or anything big ( i dont know what u guys use in the US). PLumb in a throttle body from a C4. If the boost is low enough you should be able to get away without an intercooler. But whats the fun in that? Havent had a look where an intercooler would fit in a vet. Maybe behind the radiator? SHould really go in front. Maybe well just tape it to the bonnet between the headlights. :crazy: But i think it is a definately do able project in the search for more power.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:59 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (xrated)

Centrifical supercharger can and do blow THROUGH the carb. In place of the air cleaner a elbow is installed for the plumbing. The carb needs a small addition of 2 extra plates the size of the metering blocks and install between the main body and the floats. It looks like you are running dual metering blocks and a small line is connected to the front and rear of the carb. This equalizes the pressure in the two float bowls. It is very simple to do.
In front of the intake of the supercharger the air cleaner would be mounted.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:02 AM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (norvalwilhelm)

How do you seal the inlet pipe onto the carb in a blo-thru system? Is it welded on?
Old 11-20-2001, 09:11 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (xrated)

Shutdown1 has a sc setup on his 74 that is very neat. Maybe he will chime in on this one. I don`t believe it is an ATI, but it is installed in place of the ac compressor.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:33 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (Eddie 96)

I've been looking at the ATI Procharger as a horsepower alternative for my next future motor. I was thinking of mounting it where they have it mounted (alt. location), & moving the alt. to the drivers side. This may be an easier option. Go to Prochargers website and request info to be sent to you, very impressive pacckage. :)
Old 11-20-2001, 10:52 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (81vette)

The inlet pipe, elbow has a hole just like a air cleaner and a gasket. It is as simple as installing a air cleaner, install gasket, place elbow on top, tighten wing nut.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:10 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (norvalwilhelm)

I noticed that ATI recommends a modified Holley DP. Why can't I use a spreadbore Quadrajet instead?
Old 11-20-2001, 09:16 PM
xrated
Racer

its probly due to the fact of the boost. Will be no point in running vac secondries cos they will be open all of the time. Thats my guess why they specify a DP.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:35 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-21-2001, 12:00 AM
shawn_cake
Racer

Just working on my ATI D3R on my 1980. Have a low-comp 406 Bowtie with Holley MPI 950 Commander EFI. It fits when the A/C comp is removed and the alternator is relocated to where the A/C comp used to be. Will send pix when time permits.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:51 AM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3??? (shawn_cake)

Thanks Shawn. Can't wait to your setup!

Get notified of new replies

To Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can an ATI Supercharger be Mounted in Place of the Air Compressor on a C3???