C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ShocK mounts POPPED right off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:12 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ShocK mounts POPPED right off!

I just finished removing both of my shock mounts. Didn't even have to use penetrating oil! Am I lucky or what!?:D
With consideration given to the flex in the forks that the shock mount goes through, I first pre-loaded the fork by striking the shock mount on the threaded end to get it started. Then on the opposite side, I used a chisle to tap on the fork, forcing it away from the shock mount. It took about 4 good hits before I could see a little clearance between the shock mount and the surface of the spindle carrier/fork. Then I started striking the threaded side of the shock mount again. Occasionally I would swap over and strike the fork to relieve the pressure on that side. All in all, about 3 minutes worth of hammering on each shock mount.
I used the shock mount nut. I place a small metal doly between it and the ball peen hammer.
After reading all of the horror stories, I was dreading this job something terrible. What a lucky day!

Attached is a picture showing where I used the chisle.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:18 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: ShocK mounts POPPED right off! (MIKER)

I just beat on the removal "tool" and then on the other side of the mount a few times to loosen it up. Then took of the "tool" and used a pickle fork and the mount popped right out. No problems at all.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:29 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ShocK mounts POPPED right off! (sharklover)

Alright, guys! Rub it in!!!! :jester

I had the toughest time removing mine... Knocked them so hard the car almost fell off the jackstands a few times....

-Pedro

Old 11-20-2001, 12:14 AM
Xracer
Safety Car

Default Re: ShocK mounts POPPED right off! (Pedro'74)

I just hit mine once and they came right out. Used a dead blow hammer for what its worth.

Joe
Old 11-20-2001, 12:33 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: ShocK mounts POPPED right off! (Xracer)

Some guys have all the luck. I still have nightmares of pounding those stupid shock mounts. :smash: :smash: :smash: :mad :cry :smash: :smash: :smash: :D
Old 11-20-2001, 04:38 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must've got lucky too. I changed out the rear spring, struts, shocks etc. several weeks ago and mine came right out. Backed off the castle nut a few turns, put a small block of wood over it and smacked them one good time with a 5-lb mall and they loosened right up. I'm sure glad I didn't have the problems I've read about that some of ya'll have had:eek:

Mine probably were easy cuz this car virtually has never seen bad weather and there was no build up of road "crud" from driving in rain and so on. I bead blasted the old ones and put a little "Never Sieze" on them before reinstalling. Hopefully way down the road they will be just as easy to remove again if I need to. :yesnod:
Old 11-20-2001, 09:37 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: ShocK mounts POPPED right off! (Cajun75)

Mine also came out very easily this time. I even spent the money on the removal tool and never even needed to use it. Wasted money, but I didn`t want to get caught with nothing to remove the old shock mount with. :)
Old 11-20-2001, 11:15 AM
jvm
Racer

If your talking about the rear shock mounts, mine came right off also last weekend. I looked at them and wondered why they didn't rust. Looked again and saw they were stainless!! From what I read on the forum these must not be stock. Maybe Bubba did something right (for once) on my 79!! Took them to my bead blaster and gave them a nice finish. Jim
Old 11-20-2001, 11:36 AM
adam
Drifting

Miker;

It's the texas cars. I switched shocks in about 30-45 minutes. Had I known that the
front was as easy, I would have spent the extra half hour on the front too. It wasn't
until I rebuilt the suspension that I found out removing the front shocks is easy.

Get notified of new replies

To ShocK mounts POPPED right off!

Quick Reply: ShocK mounts POPPED right off!