C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:04 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice??

???
Old 11-19-2001, 10:08 PM
79er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (71,454,4spd)

The same thing happened to me after I got my car painted and re weather striped last winter. The condition lasted about 3 weeks then the seals broke in and the door closes fine now. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:15 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (79er)

So, you didn't adjust anything? Sounds easy enough.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:17 PM
79er
Racer

Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (71,454,4spd)

Nope just let it sit. I had to really push on the door to close it at first, but the more I used it the better it got.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:53 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (79er)

Before replacing my weatherstripping last year, I inquired of the gurus in here. One suggestion that might help your situation is to close or force the door closed (while ensuring a clean seal) after putting on new stripping and do not open the door/window for a day or two allowing the rubber to adjust and set to its new position.

Hope this helps!

Stephen
Old 11-19-2001, 11:51 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (VolVette)

Thanks guys. It wasn't all that hard to get it to latch, but there is quite a gap. I shall let it sit for a while.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:54 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same experience with new weatherstrip on a set of T-tops. I got them to latch, and am letting them sit for awhile. I checked them last week and they are better already. I think the weatherstrip just needs to "smush".
Old 11-20-2001, 04:43 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (Dalannex)

I agree with the bove advice. Replaced the weathestrip on my CE last year and after I ws done, "forced" or Slammed the door shut(with windows down), let it sit for 3-4 days and then re-opened the door, rubbed some mineral oil on it(heard it helps soften it) and closed it again. Two days later, and now, works like new :seeya
Old 11-26-2001, 12:31 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice?? (82dukman)

Those seals haven't budged. What kind of oil can I try?

Get notified of new replies

To New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice??

Quick Reply: New door wheather stripping, door doesn't shut closed. Any advice??