C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any clocking fixing tips?

Old 11-19-2001, 07:52 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any clocking fixing tips?

I've seen a couple of topics on clocks lately and wondering how to go about fixing my 68's. The mechanism seems to be frozen as the stem want turn any of the clock hands. What's would be the best way to go about fixin a clock?
Old 11-19-2001, 07:56 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: Any clocking fixing tips? (68rdstr)

Only thing I found in the Corvettefaq.com that would help you is this: http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2000.../tictocpg1.asp

Mostly just for removing/replacing tho.
good luck!
-terry
Old 11-19-2001, 08:16 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any clocking fixing tips? (terryrudy)

Thanks Terry, If all else fails, I guess I could send it off to Clock's by Rodger.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:03 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvette Fever had an article about a year ago with step by step instructions on a clock rebuild with part numbers and photos. You may want to try to contact them and get a reprint.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:43 AM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any clocking fixing tips? (micks69)

I repaired the one in my 1972 a couple weeks ago. Not much to it, your gears should be fine. The hardest part is getting the center console out.

Then carefully remove the metal housing from the clock innards

I gave the gears a nice shot of aeresol "tuner cleaner" electronics cleaner/lubricant to get things dissolved and moving again. A little messy, use some paper towels. This freed up the gears and made the adjustment arm easier to turn.

Then check the electric contact points inthe rear of your clock. There's 2 points, and upper that is attached to the coil and a lower that is attached to a spring loaded disc that applies tension to the clock cam and gears.

I had to rebuild the upper point as it was burned away and not making contact. I used a solder pencil and carefully built up a solder point.

Then you can shape/flatten the solder globe a little with a small dremel disc.

After you get it together, check the function by running on you car battery. I tried a DC "wall wart" 12V source, but it didn't put out enough amps to make the clock function.

My clock's upper point "arm" was shorting out against the spring loaded disc, so I had to remove some metal from the arm with my dremel tool. Now it functions fine for the time being.

In all I spent about an hour and $0.42 worth of electricity, solder, and electronics spray. Better than shipping it off :yesnod:
Old 11-20-2001, 11:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I ran a separate ground for my clock which seems to have helped it tremendously. Took a piece of 14 ga and ran it from one of the clock mounting screws, under the console, and down to the system ground next to my shifter. Did the same for my cigarette lighter. Both work like a charm.
:)
Old 11-20-2001, 12:25 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we're on the subject, my clock workd fine but doesn't keep good time. The Owners manual says it's a self adjusting clock, and should not be re-adjusted more than 3 minutes ahead or back. WTF does that mean? If the clock is 3hours slow or fast, do I adjust it in 3 minute incraments, pausing for a second before pushing in the rod to continue :confused: :confused: Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :cheers: :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 11-20-2001, 12:59 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Any clocking fixing tips? (Silvr77)

I found a NEW clock at my local Chevy dealership a couple of years ago. I just called them on the off chance that they may have one or still make it. As it turns out, they don't make it but did have one on the shelf with an inch of dust on the box. It works great. And this isn't one of those quartz replacements but an honest to goodness original clock. I am telling you this because you may want to call around to see if you can find one. It seems like I paid $40 for it.

dl
Old 11-20-2001, 01:06 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I installed the quartz kit in mine that I bought from Riks.
It works great and keeps good time. Costs like 60 bucks and about an hours work with tiny parts but I'm extremely happy I did it!

Larry http://www.larryscars.com/71vette.html
Old 11-20-2001, 01:17 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any clocking fixing tips? (lbell101)

Thanks all, for all the information. My guage cluster is already out and I'm replacing it with a new smooth finish one from ZIP. Now to go to work on my clock! :smash:
Old 11-21-2001, 01:33 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I installed a quartz clock kit about a month ago and it is great. It dosen't have that quartz clock "tick" of the second hand so it looks OEM if thats is a concern. Since your console is out it is a 30 minute job.

Silvr77 -
While we're on the subject, my clock workd fine but doesn't keep good time. The Owners manual says it's a self adjusting clock, and should not be re-adjusted more than 3 minutes ahead or back. WTF does that mean? If the clock is 3hours slow or fast, do I adjust it in 3 minute incraments, pausing for a second before pushing in the rod to continue Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: This is a self adjusting setup in the OEM clocks. Adjust to the time you want then wait a few days to see if your clock is running fast or slow. Once you determine which way its running (fast/slow) then just adjust your set **** no more than three minutes in the direction indicated in your owners manual for the fast/slow condition. There is a little "cam" in the clock that moves in one direction or the other to adjust the speed in which your clock runs. Hope this helps.
John

Old 11-21-2001, 04:43 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Any clocking fixing tips? (theandies)

Thanks John, I will try that method. :seeya :seeya :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Any clocking fixing tips?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any clocking fixing tips?