C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 06:50 PM
sserio4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position

72 Corvette with standard steering wheel and automatic transmission. The key will not turn left to accessories or right to run / start. I noticed that the steering wheel's lock had excessive out ward play I could push the key in the normal 1/4 inch and also pull outward on the lock mechanism.
Luck for me after putting T_roofs on car and locking the doors. I came back later / problem corrected itself.
Not only what is the repair procedure? But, How do I resolve this away from home on the wheel wheel and transmission selector is locked? Car could not be towed
Old 11-19-2001, 07:37 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position (sserio4)

I'm pretty sure that your problem is well described in a very recent posting today. Your problem is the backdrive cable. It attaches at the transmission and also to the lever at the bottom of the steering column. You should be able to see the column attachment of the cable right under your brake booster. You may need to reconnect the cable to the column lever. Or check the attachment at the transmission linkage. You can also wire the column lever in the full up position (as the other posting describes) and determine if your ignition key is now operating the ignition lock cylinder properly.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:02 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position (Jim Shea)

I had something simialer happen, only the car was running and I couldn't turn it off. The cable had come off the arm Jim is talking about. Not a good thing to have happen. I'm glade it wasn't an emergency that made me want to shut the car off.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:15 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position (sserio4)

I had the same thing happen in my Suburban. Turns out the ignition switch itself went to mush on the inside... and wouldn't let go of my key... or turn right or left.
Luckily, the ignition was in the OFF position. I was able to yank the key out with a pair of pliers... and replaced the switch... no big deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position

Quick Reply: Ignition Key will not turn in Locked Position