C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holley fit stock (Q-Jet) manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 03:17 PM
jcanney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default holley fit stock (Q-Jet) manifold?

There seems to be no distinguishment in the catalogs. I have a stock 81 manifold, that previously housed a Qjet,,, I'm looking at purchasing one of the new "ready out of the box" holley's. Will it bolt right on? I didn't think so,,, but since the catalogs don't make clear distinguishments,,, I wasn't sure.

anyone?

oh,,,, I have a performer (in addition to the stocker) manifold with two sets of bolt holes on it,,,, which I'm guessing is for holley vs. qjet applications.

Old 11-19-2001, 04:24 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: holley fit stock (Q-Jet) manifold? (jcanney)

I'm guessin' you're right about the performer intake.........cant believe nobody else would help ya on this one......Enjoy!!! :flag
Old 11-19-2001, 04:29 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

The spread-bore Holley's do pretty much bolt on. You'll have to make some adjustments to the throttle and of course the vacuum hoses and possibly the throttle arm to air cleaner clearance, but that's about all. No fabricating if that's what you're getting at. It's relatively simple, really.

The Performer will take either a square or spread-bore carburetor. If you use a square-bore carb, you'll need the metal sealer plate otherwise you'll have problems getting the carb to seal to the manifold.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:33 PM
nunus79
Drifting

My 79 stock mani had 4 holes to match the Q-jet venturis. If yours is the same style, no way will a Holley squarebore fit. The Performer would be the way to go. Watch out for clearance problems with that vacuum port hole on the #8 runner being to close to the Holley's back fuel bowl/pumper.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:34 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: holley fit stock (tnt76vette)

It depends.... A "standard flange" or "square flange" Holley won't bolt right up to a Qjet manifold. You would have to have a spacer/adapter plate to make it work. A "spreadbore" Holley would bolt right up and work just fine. The secondary bores are larger than the primaries just like on a Qjet.

As for the Performer intake, I have used intake manifolds with a dual bolt pattern and haven't had very good luck with them when using a standard flange Holley. They always seemed to have a vacuum leak at the base. I did see in Jeg's catalog the other day that they now sell a very thin plate which eliminates this problem. It goes in between the carb and manifold and seals everything up with a spreadbore gasket underneath and a standard gasket above.

Hope this helps.

dl
Old 11-19-2001, 04:49 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: holley fit stock (dladd74roadster)

I bought a Holley spreadbore carb (#4175) and put it on both a stock and then a Performer 2101. The only changes I had to make was to add a reducer bushing to the power brake port (it was smaller in the Holley than the Q-jet) and I changed the discharge nozzle to a .031 from the .040 because it was giving to much fuel from a standing start.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:36 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jason

Use the Performer w/ a Holley 750 square bore if for the 383. Thought you were going to use a TPI from Monty.

:cool:
Old 11-20-2001, 09:52 AM
jcanney
Burning Brakes

Default Re: holley fit stock (Ganey)

thanks all :)

I like the looks of the new "out of the box" holley's. I need it to fit a spreadbore and have a choke. I can go with the square bore,,,, but the non stock performer manifold I have is dirty,,, and I would definitely be required :D to have it polished :D sounds like a good idea!

The TPI is a good idea, and I had it all mapped out in my head how it was supposed to be integrated,,, just a bit more work than I wanted to put into it right now.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:20 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an 80 and I tried many carbs over the years.

Hooley spreadbores will fit but the vacuum secondary ones will not work with the stock air cleaner if that is an issue. The holley spreadbore double pumpers were a direct rochester replacement, but the chevy version only works with the old style choke (external with thermostat mounted to intake). If your lucky you might find an oldsmobile or pontiac version of this carb that used an integral chike that can be upgraded to electric.

I run one of the spreadbore double pumpers (list 6210) on my car with the new ZZ4 motor and I also run my stock 1980 L82 carb on my new ZZ4 motor and both carbs run the same. Plus the build quality of the last 6210 holley I bought new last year was not that good (choke butterfly is no longer screwed in, it's pressed in and keep moving!)

If I were starting from scratch with an 81 model that used to have the electronic carb and distributor. I assume the distributor has been changed also. I would go to edelbrock and get there performance version of the rochester (not the carter one they sell, but the rochester unit). It will bolt on, great performance and I think the latest ones have an electric choke.

If you need to keep the car semi leagl for emissions, I would get the edelbrock replacement carb for the 1980 vette.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To holley fit stock (Q-Jet) manifold?

Quick Reply: holley fit stock (Q-Jet) manifold?