C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Reservoir Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 01:53 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Power Steering Reservoir Leak

On the back of the power steering pump where the adjustment bolt goes; is there supposed to be an o-ring, or maybe a washer there? I just have a bolt running through the adjustment bracket into the reservior and its leaking like crazy! Any ideas?

TIA,
Old 11-19-2001, 08:14 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Reservoir Leak (e3pres)

What you are calling a bolt is actually a stud. It has a threaded section, a hex flange, another threaded section. A first threaded section screws into the cast iron pump housing and sandwiches the sheet metal reservoir. Between the pump housing and the reservoir is an o-ring that seals this connection. On the outside of the pump the hex flange on the stud tightens down on this connection. The second threaded section sticks through a bracket and mounts the pump.

First try to just tighten the stud into the pump by turning its hex flange with a wrench. Hopefully, the stud is just loose. If tightening the stud doesn't stop the leak, you are going to have to remove the pump from the car. Disassemble the stamped reservoir from the pump and replace the o-ring seal that is underneath the leaking stud.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:31 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Power Steering Reservoir Leak (Jim Shea)

Actually I was just using a bolt. It's no wonder the original pump was leaking. I just copied the setup that was on it before. Where can I get the stud and o-ring? Will I have to go to the dealer?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2001, 11:44 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Reservoir Leak (e3pres)

One thing you have to look out for, in 1980 the power steering pump was converted to metric threads. There was a paper tag on the reservoir that said METRIC, but after 20+ years - good luck! Pumps starting in 1980 also had the pressure hose fitting which had an o-ring seal on the hose.

There should be two studs sticking out of the back of the pump. If you have a pump that is metric you will need 7831388 stud(s) which has a M10x1.5 thread and is available from any GM dealer. GMPartsDirect.com has it listed for $3.33 and their price is $2.00 plus shipping.

The stud for pumps manufactured before 1980 is 5689546. It has a 3/8-16 UNC thread and is also available. GMPartsDirect.com has it listed for $4.22 and sells it for $2.53.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Reservoir Leak

Quick Reply: Power Steering Reservoir Leak