C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous in a stock engine

Old 11-19-2001, 12:35 PM
EIGHTDOLLARS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous in a stock engine

Sorry for the duplication of topics, I didn't see the recent post of Markus P. I might as well just ask some q's here.

Is this a bad idea for a 50 to 100 HP shot? If it is a bad idea, what are the bare minimum items that need to be beefed up? Pistons, rods, crank, etc? I'm on a tight budget, but would like to try it out. BTW, the engine I'm talking about using is a non #s matching engine, just a normal old 350cid - cast pistons, 8.5:1, etc. Although I would be changing the cam. Would it be a better idea to run one of the N2O cams with just 50 to 100 HP shots, or would a regular grind be just as good (262, 268, etc.)?

Also, is it good to have a bit lower compression for Nitrous like it is for super/turbo charging? Thanks in advance for the input.

[Modified by EIGHTDOLLARS, 10:41 AM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 12:50 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: nitrous in a stock engine (EIGHTDOLLARS)

You can fit 50-100 HP on any stock engine. You DO NOT need anything special. Give it a try but don't exceed that 100HP. I have installed at least 6 for the local kids and some of them destroy transmissions and tires on a regular basis and I have never seen them destroy a motor with nitrous. I keep all jets and only give then 100horse.
Even 15-1 compression motors run nitrous. Don't worry about compression on stock motor. Hooked up properly it is safe.
A motor started on nitrous starts faster then you can turn the key but that is where you get explosions.
Good luck and try it you will like it.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:56 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would add a caveat to this. A HEALTHY stock engine. I would think twice about adding N2O to an engine has many miles or years on it.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:28 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

you should be fine with that amount...say under 100 or 125 nitrous add-on..
differs with who you ask...but definately no more than 125hp....

stock is fine...healthy is better...

I have spoken with people who used it on engines with 100,000 miles before they got the car and used nitrous and never had an issue....all depends on how you *use it* or *abuse it*.....

sound engine with a lil' juice shouldn't be an issue...also on the cam
issue...go the normal grind unless you want to get addicted to the juice and ar thinking of going more juice down the road.....but then the whole engine and drive shaft will need to be beefed up....(edit) drive shaft I mean....over 125 hp and your realling slamming the drive shaft/rear end...so if they are aged they may break... :lol: )

yes lower compression is better....over 11:1 I think is the mark....and you need the interior beefed for NOS plus some other issues....but you aren't into that issue....YET ? :yesnod:

[Modified by ylose, 12:30 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 02:30 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: nitrous in a stock engine (Neo Fender)

I would add a caveat to this. A HEALTHY stock engine. I would think twice about adding N2O to an engine has many miles or years on it.
Definately. I was once told by an N2O freak that nitrous is the "safest & gentlest" way of dramatically increasing power when compared to really high CR, forced induction etc. The reason is that the nitrous causes the mixture to burn fairly slowly, giving a constant strong "push" to the piston when it's on it's way down, not just a violent "shove" at the start of the stroke. ie. a nitrous mixture will keep on burning & expanding long after a normal petrol mixture has stopped, thus giving bags more power but, in a smooth controlled way which gives the engine an easier life.
:cheers:
Old 11-19-2001, 03:02 PM
vettepacecar
Racer

Default Re: nitrous in a stock engine (norvalwilhelm)

ive use jets in my nitrous system from 50hp to 300hp on a stock with no troubles

Get notified of new replies

To nitrous in a stock engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nitrous in a stock engine