C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Linkage Question (semi large photos)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:44 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Linkage Question (semi large photos)

I was looking at what elese I need to replace ojn the '71 steering (along with the rag joint and bearings etc..) and I notice this piece "bubba'ed" with a coat hanger., I assume this projection is used to hold the outer part of the column still while the inner part rotates in the bearings. Well mine is coat hangered up to a bolt on the power brake booster. In the AIM (photo attached) it shows this projection bolted to a bracket. In my photos this is a projection that looks like a bolt (where the hanger is attached) but it's not. It look like an old rivet. It's definatley not attached to the bracket behind it but I can't see behing the projection to see if these is a hole through which to bolt to anyway. Can some of you guys take a look at your cars and enlighten me?

Old 11-19-2001, 12:00 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Steering Linkage Question (sdotson)

There is a heavy cable that runs from the steering column to the transmission to prevent theft. When the steering column is locked the transmission shifter is also locked in park. It looks like your cable is missing and the transmission can be shifted into gear without unlocking the steering column.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:23 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Steering Linkage Question (norvalwilhelm)

Mine is a 4-speed. I don't think that applies does it?
Old 11-19-2001, 12:28 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just checked the manual and it shows a 64-77 4 speed linkage with a interlock cable that runs from the 4 speed to the bracket on the steering column.. It attaches to the reverse linkage.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:31 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Steering Linkage Question (norvalwilhelm)

So when the column is locked it won't shift out of or into any gear? That's different...

Regardless, the AIM looks like the projection is bolted to the bracket. Am I seeing this correctly?

Sean
Old 11-19-2001, 02:19 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

This is indeed the reverse lockout. You can't turn the car off and remove the key unless the shifter is in reverse (yes, with a 4 speed, too).

Why? I have NO idea. Some kind of a "security" feature. You can use your own imagination to figure out what good it would do. Mine looks pretty much like yours does except I don;'t have a coat hanger.

Dave
Old 11-19-2001, 04:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

It is inded the reverse lockout poopie the govt/Nader required in the 70's...
most honest hotrodders go ahead and disconnect all that junk along with Naders famous key beeper and ignition key off/remove lockout levers...and all other pesky operational junk to supposedly make a car idiot proof....

now having said that, before I overhauled my steering column and removed all that extranious bullpoopie....I wired mine in a similar fashion...just so I didn't have to cope with the insanity....

you know, from just now removing all the extra wiring alone, plus cables, interlocks, misc junk, my car is shedding about 50 lbs in weight alone....
it's amazing....even I am amazed at the un necessary complexity...just amazed, a whole new field of engineering has evolved...idiot proofing cars....

GENE
Old 11-19-2001, 04:47 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Steering Linkage Question (mrvette)

I have a Hurst aftermarket shifter without the reverse lockout handle so I guess that's why they removed it.

The wonders of trying to figure out that the 5 people before you did to the car and why. Sometimes I wish they had written it in a notebook and kept it with the car. Of course that would take all of the fun (stress) out of it...:)
Old 11-19-2001, 04:58 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Nope. The lockout handle just prevents you from mis-shifting into reverse.

The lockout cable was attached to the shift lever on the TRANSMISSION and push/pulled the cable when the shifter went into and out of reverse.

There's just no practical reason to have the cable setup there except for originality sake.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:29 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe that the Federal Standard for locking the car required that either the steering wheel or the shifter had to be locked when the ignition was locked. General Motors decided to do the Feds one better. GM designed a system to lock both the steering and the transmission shifter. Locking the shifter also allowed for one other safety feature. GM wanted to insure that when the car was being driven forward, the driver couldn't inadvertently turn off the engine and lock the steering. It allowed GM to design the system so as to prevent the steering wheel from being locked unless the automatic transmission was in Park or the manual transmission was in Reverse.

With the steering column lower lever wired in the position as shown in the photographs, the transmission lever is never locked and the ignition lock cylinder can be turned to Off-Lock at any time. You could lock the steering wheel even though the car is coasting downhill for instance.

One other thing, if the steering column lower lever comes loose and is allowed to rotate downward, you will find that you can no longer turn the ignition lock cylinder to off-lock. Then you will find that you can turn off the engine but you will not be able to remove the ignition key from the column ignition lock.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Linkage Question (semi large photos)

Quick Reply: Steering Linkage Question (semi large photos)