C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A yoke topic on differentials He He

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:33 AM
jvm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A yoke topic on differentials He He

I just pulled the differential this weekend off of my 79, Because you fourm guys told me the excessive 12-6 rear tire movement and the loud "Thunk" when cornering was due to the c-clip coming off the yoke. Well both yokes move around 1/4 inch in and out of the differential and seem like the clips are still there as the yokes don't come all the way out, (should they)? If it's not the c-clips what is the tire movement, thunk from?, the trailing arms? Haven't pulled them. The half shafts u-joints look good. Should I replace them anyway? Just hope I can remember how to put all that stuff back on!! Thanks Jim
Old 11-19-2001, 12:00 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: A yoke topic on differentials He He (jvm)

If they move a 1/4 inch (a real 1/4 inch, not a pretend 1/4 inch), then the clips may be worn off, and the yokes may be mushroomed at the end, preventing them from coming off. Check for sure to see how much endplay there is, and verify if the clips are still there. I replaced both yokes on my 70 with hardened tip yokes, and I STILL have a thunk on acceleration, with yoke endplay less than .010 and fresh gear oil & posi additive, and all new (tight) bushings etc from the transmission back, and all new bearings set to .0015 endplay, and minimal pinion backlash. Nothing left to check except the radio.

Quick Reply: A yoke topic on differentials He He